Chapter Thirteen

*Calanmai*

Calian felt the stares on him as though he was the prey surrounded by wolves. Their eyes eating him up, as though he was the last meal they wanted a taste of.

Their calls and legs wide in temptation but Calian never even glanced.

He was looking for the Son of Night & Spring.

Tonight seemed to be the largest Calanmai they've had in years; since the first High Lord of Spring was crowned. The Fire bright and burning, dancing along its admirers like an eternal flame.

Sex and lust intoxicating the air around them, fueling a small animalistic urge to devour and mate with anyone willingly to share his bed.

But he had his mind on only one.

He figured Lotus was taking his sweet time to make a dramatic entrance; imagining how his sun kissed hair would burn like Autumn on fire, those turquoise eyes like jewels a greedy animal would treasure, with moon carved skin.

And an attitude to match, words like knives Calian had no scare cutting himself with. The blood on his hands never bothered him, anyway.

Figuring it would be a while before Lotus made an appearance, Calian wandered over to the buffet table, every plate still full since everyone was off fucking somewhere.

He noticed Alyce standing far, overlooking to make sure no threat made its way through, making small talk with a small female at her side, her dress clinging to her skin, the sweat making her sparkle as she shamelessly flirted with the soldier.

Calian felt the strange urge to see this petite female top Alyce in the sheets, knowing fully well she'd freely submit herself to whatever this female planned to do to her.

"Threesome's your thing?"

Calain turned to see a beautifully winged female. Her bat-like wings boney and standing proudly tall over her figure. Its unusual color surprised him, he thought Illyrians had only black wings.

Apparently she mistook his surprise as embarrassment for 'checking out' Alyce and her pet for the night.

"Oh sorry, are you ashamed of that sort of thing? I mean- if it makes you feel better I was checking them out too! Especially that warrior, she is yummy!- you know? I would happily lick wine off her abs. Though if you were looking at her companion, I have to say I don't think she'd be your type," she shrugged her shoulders, glancing around until she found what she was looking for. "You seem more like a thigh kind of male. Or a huge pecs type of guy- Look! His are huge!!"

He smiled at her. 'I'm Calian," he said, stretching out his hand in greeting. She happily took it in hers.

"I'm Talia!"

"I'm guessing you're not from around here, Talia?"

She laughed, "That obvious?"

"Your wing give a giveaway,"

"Beautiful, aren't they? You can touch them if you want! I don't mind. I like the looks, especially the jealousy those admirers give us. I mean, I would be filled with envy if a gorgeous Illyrian took my meal away from me." Talia winked and Calian chuckled at her as she talked in the third person.

She seemed energetic, this female. Someone he could see himself growing friends with.

"I'd be disappointed if a handsome male tried taking you away from me too," Calian winked, the both of them chuckling at their silliness.

"So," she nudged him softly, swirling her glass as they gazed out to the party before them. "Anyone fancy your interest, handsome stranger?"

"My eyes hadn't had the chance to glance. A distracting winged female cockblocking me from the show." From the corner of his eyes, he could see her cover chest in offense, an outraged look on her that Calian smirked at her reaction.

Talia rolled her eyes, whacking him to which he laughed at.

"What about you, Talia? Something must have caught your interest that you'd travel from the Night Court to Spring. Calanmai isn't exactly a loved celebration. Especially in the Night Court."

"What can I say? I'm full of surprises."

Calian considered this for a moment before offering his arm to her, "Well then let's not waste this opportunity. What about a tour? From the Spring emissary of Dawn. Call it a welcome gift."

"Emissary? I feel so special," she laughed, linking her arms with his happily. He smiled, "Let the tour begin."

However, they didn't get very far when the sound of door slamming open echoing in the Night, the music and dancers stopping to look as Lotus emerged from the manor.

Dressed in only some trousers, his skin glistening from the Rite's fire. His eyes scanning the crowds, females and males pushing softly and an inviting smile on their lips; hoping the future High Lord of Spring would fuck them.

Lotus paid them no mind, still roaming around as the music started to play again. Hands now reach to caress his naked chest and kiss exposed skin.

Even then, Lotus ignored them.

Something was wrong, Calian thought.

Talia separated herself from his hold, everyone's eyes falling to hers and she called to him. Her carefree spirit to shamelessly call to the Prince as though they were old friends.

Only when Lotus looked in her direction did Calian shout for Talia.

This wasn't Lotus.

This Lotus looked possessed and predatory, drinking her up like a starved man. Locking his eyes with hers and he pounced.

He was faster than him, reaching Talia and roughly pushed her against a tree. His growl threatened those who he deemed to stand too closely. Anger and fury reading off him like waves, claws emerging from his skin and his eyes were black.

He looked like a wild animal.

The Fae around him screamed in horror as Lotus lashed at them, practically clawing at them as one neared to pull Talia away.

Lotus grabbed them by their throat, their screams and pleas falling to deaf eyes as Lotus squeezed his fist. His eyes glowing with murder.

An animalistic look of a predator protecting what was his.

He discarded them like a corpse and stalked closer to Talia, remembering why he had chosen her and Calian could see that it didn't matter if everyone was watching, if he was acting like a beast when all he could think about was to mate with her.

Calain felt his blood run cold.

Lotus was about to rape Talia.

He didn't think as he launched himself in front of her, Lotus eyes flaring with anger and roared. In an attempt to protect her, Calian went to push Lotus away but fell back against her.

A burning pain on his forearm, cut deep and bleeding wildly.

He could hear Talia's scream as he felt himself go light headed. He must have hit his head... Calian was never much of a fighter.

Last he saw was Alyce, shoving her way through the crowd, Suko tackling Lotus to the floor and Kota injecting him with some knockout serum. Before glancing at him, yelling something but Calian couldn't read his lips and wings blocked his view.

He wondered if Talia managed to escape unscratched before everything went black.