Chapter Nine

"Look who decided to say hello," the Emissary of Autumn said, her eyes of burning metal looked over him, already judgment in her gaze.

A female of many scars; each a story of bloodshed battles. Skin like shadows, dark like night, giving the illusion as though she bathed herself in coal dust. Hair aflame like hell fire, burning like burned flesh and boiling blood. Her body structured and sculpted into a frame of muscle, not an inch untouched.

When she spoke, her voice dripped of thousands she slaughtered. Hands stained of their blood she hides behind gloves. Or so she claims.

Lotus knew a time when his parents were still together, their voices bouncing off walls; yelling, screaming, clawing at each other as though their words could kill did she come into his room, ash mixing with her scent as she sat with him in the corner.

"In this life, you will encounter people who will try to talk over you," she said, using a voice he only hears when talking with the Spring army, one of a General, a warrior. "In thoses times, you mustn't sulk in a corner and wait for them to shut up. You hold yourself high and yell. Scream if you must, roar- do anything means necessary to silence them."

He glanced at her through his tear stained eyes. "What if I can't?"

"Then you will forever be burdened by their words." The soldier stood, lingering in the doorway, her next words engraved in that moment in time. "Who would you rather be, Lotus? The one tormented by their voices, or the voice that torments them."

He learned two things that day. One, there was more to the Lady of Battles than she lets out to be and Two, he liked the look of his Father's speechless face when he stood after Alyce left, her words fueling him as he soundlessly walked to his parents room. Now theirs silenced and his like a sirens, singing with the voice of a silenced male finally speaking. It was for a moment- gone as fast as a blink- did he see fear in Tamlins eyes.

Lotus bowed his head at her, giving her the well deserved respect she earned herself since that day.

The breath quickly stolen from him as small milky arms wrapped around his waist. Her height just a head under him, allowing Lotus to rest his over hers, his own arms squeezing her back just as hard. The silent challenge on who will tap out first as she held her position, never faltering as he trapped her in his embrace.

Eventually, her nails sank into him, making Lotus push her away; never minding that he lost as he felt if she drew blood.

"What a pleasant surprise you're here! Why the unexpected visit?"

"I'm here for Calanmai." He got directly to the point. No need to sugarcoat it.

"Oh, isn't that news... What did the High Lord say?"

"My Father sent me a letter to inform me of my participation in Fire Night."

Suko gave him a smile but he saw right through her. Lotus never knew much of her past then she lets out- not very open with her battles as Alyce- though very talkative of her adventures and accomplishments. If Talia and Suko were to ever meet, Lotus would bet his crown that they'd be inseparable.

Unfortunately, he'd never let Talia near here.

"Participation? I'd never taken thought the High Lord would ever let his firstborn and only child to perform in the Great Rite. There must be a specific reasoning- do you feel alright?" Her boney hand felt his face, but he never felt cold with her.

Suko had a sickly appearance; pale and boney, slim and small. Not much muscle or built but she had other advantages.

She uses her body as a canvas to mark colorful ink over. Her hair dyed with the feathers of ravens: when the sun hits just right- small streaks of purple, blue and green shine. Suko's eyes of roses only added beauty to her complexion. Lotus could say with absolute certainty that she was the definition of beautiful death. Never could someone look so close to death yet appear so alive.