Chapter Three

Colors seemed to blur together. Pastel blending in with the dark. Each a different emotion, a different memory. All burning into one, mixing and melting. To Others with closed eyes, they do not see, yet, those who have them open, would understand. His hands stained with his feelings, his blood dripping onto the picture.

The Sun rested over the Mountains, illuminating the hidden city. Cold air dancing in the sky, the ice glowing. Just as this Court was a dream, it was also a Paradise. People buzzing and humming, singing and cheering for the new day that had come. They prayed to the Mother and thanked the Cauldron.

Breakfast was 'eventful' as always, the family as loud as a canary. Lotus wondered where they got all that passion from. He'd woken up, tired of another day in the Night, but they had awakened with the Sun. He despised their enthusiasm. Their laughter and joy.

Or maybe he didn't despise their happiness. Just them.

Once he was able to get away, Lotus retreated to the Garden. Grabbing his mother's paint and canvases. His thoughts swirling up in him as he just picked a brush, dipping it in whatever paint he saw first and smearing it on the board.

Red, Purple, Green, Yellow, Blue. Each one stains itself to show his emotions. They were uncontrollable, chaotic, messy. But God, when he stepped back, they were beautiful.

Paint dripped from his hands, Blood spilling on grass from Lotus gripping the brush too strongly. But he ignored the sting, the smell of open flesh filling his nose. His eyes stared at the canvas, pride swelling in his chest as he gazed at it.

In his blank state, Lotus painted a ship. It was old and breaking apart slowly, the pisces splashing as they fell into the water. Mountains stood in the background, hiding behind the clouds who were being shined on by the stars, each of them acting as a small sun. The water and sun mixing into colors of pink, gold and orange. The Mountains, purple, black and white. The water, green, blue, and red.

Lotus tore his eyes away, if he looked too long he might second guess it. But you can't second guess your emotions, they appear and disappear before a blink. If he second guessed, he just burned it.

Eventually, he packed up his work, storing away his art in the room. Ever since he'd move into the Night Court, he never referred to this as 'his' room. The bed wasn't his, the clothes, the crowns. Over time, Lotus had set a few paintings here and there, brightening up the black walls. He had also gathered books to the shelves. He planted plants and flowers. He tried making it his, but it never was.

Just as quickly he grabbed the supplies, he quickly put them back, getting away from the room as fast as possible. As he made his way through the House, he heard his Mother's voice in the living room, followed by everyone else's.

Lotus sighed, It just had to be one of their break days.

He pushed open the doors, some of their laughter dying as he made his way to the small table where they laid some cakes and cookies.

He grabbed some, packing them gently in his bag before walking to his mother making sure not to interrupt her conversation as he kissed her head goodbye.

Lotus? Where are you going?

His lips lifted slightly at her Daemati abilities. I'll be back, don't worry, He thought to her. Slipping away from the room, he concentrated on Winnowing.

I love you

He smiled at that.

***

Lotus was never a fan of sweets. Chocolate, caramel, cakes. All would make his stomach twist, only on rare occasions would he be able to swallow his Aunt Elain's tea cookies.

However, to many surprise, he had brought a bag filled with the things he can't take down. Though, they were not for him but for Talia.

The only Illyrian in the Night Court, (and all of history) with white bat wings. Her mother had been born in the Summer Court, her hair white and her eyes the sky's reflection. Her father had been born in the Court of Nightmares.

Talia's parents met when her mother left the summer Court, wanting to explore the world around her. Nearing the Night Court, she had stumbled upon Talia's father, Alaric.

From there they had become friends, eventually falling in love and having Talia. Though her parents weren't mates, they sure acted as if. When Lotus had met them, he could tell they couldn't take their eyes off each other. Which would have disturbed him had it not been similar to his mother and her mate.

Talia took after her mother, her skin dark and warm. Her black eyes and wings were entirely her father's. Despite her color. No one knew why she had been born with white instead of the common black the other Illyrians bore.

Suspicion was because her mother was from Summer and father of Night but it made no sense. Eventually, everyone came around it.

When Lotus had met Talia, it was three years after he moved into the Night court, bumping into her when he had gone out to resupply his tea collection. Her enthusiastic voice filling his ears as she helped him up, apologized repeatedly for knocking him over, to then eventually paying for his tea.

Since then, he always bumped into her, (How? He had no idea) and she had always paid for his tea every time until it became a habit routine. They started to talk and became closer over time.

He had never been good with words, one of the benefits in their friendship, Talia would do all the talking. And he meant ALL the talking.

However he never minded, much rather listening than engaging. Before they would depart, he'd always give her sweets. Finding some amusement in the way her dark eyes would brighten to the sight of food.

Lotus sat outside of the Town's Library, knowing fully well that if he sat inside, they would probably get kicked out for making too much noise.

He sipped his Herbal tea that Talia had bought for him a few days ago, the scent of dried flowers filling his nose, happily getting drunk on the smell.

Talia sat in front of him, her now dyed bright ocean locks pulled up into a bun, her shoulder bare knee length dress hitched up to her thighs, brightening her skin tone with their peach fabric that was sewed with pale yellow daisies.

He would have told her she looked beautiful if she ever shut her mouth for one second. Ranting on about something he wasn't really paying much attention to.

"I started thinking about moving to the Summer Court."

That got his attention.

Snapping his head up, he glared at her, the look on his face telling her to continue.

"Don't you think? I've never been and I've always wanted to go! Do the waves really glow at Night? Does the sun really reflect on the water like jewels? Mother's stories aren't enough for me! I want to see with my own eyes, feel the cold sea against my palms," Her voice dreamily wished, only a hint of desperation in them.

Then Talia looked at him, eagerness in her stare. "Would you come with me?"

"No."

Hurt filled her face and Lotus had to hold himself back from grinning. 

Before, he couldn't stand her, annoyance filled his body every time he saw or heard her. If it were ever now a three second life or death situation this was how'd it go.

In the first second, he would think of how quiet it would be without her, in the second , he would live the rest of his existence without her. In the third second, he remembered that she was his best friend and he wouldn't trade her for anything. 

Though he'd never tell her that.

Talia went on about how he had betrayed her, cursing him for breaking her heart but immediately stopped when he laid his bag in front of her.

The strong scents of cakes and chocolate ghostly around the fresh air. Almost in a blink she had forgiven him, beginning to stuff her face in the food he'd gotten.

For a female two years older than him, sometimes he wondered if the Mother had somehow made a mistake.