Chapter Two

The sun rested over Lotus as he got up from his spot in the trees. Due to the lack of weight in his arms, he can only assume someone had come and taken Nyx from him, which wasn't rare. Yet still brought that hollowness that usually came after he awoke.

The day went on as usual, walking into the dining room, his Mother and Rhysand sat at the front of the table, delicate smiles on their faces as Nyx gobbled up all his food. His aunt Nesta and her mate by the couch reading a small book in his aunt's hands.

Monarch & Martyr, the Title read.

A story of a female whose family ruled the land with fear and hate, runs away to redeem herself of the family's sins, yet no one believes her and casts her away believing she will one day grow to be like the Queen. And so the female realizes that if she can't change the people's minds; she becomes what they have always feared and worse.

Lotus lent it to Nesta in hopes she understands why he enjoyed it so much. Sometimes he felt like the female in the story. Burdened by his blood's sin to grow up realizing that their mistakes will be his. Lotus felt anger rising inside him as he saw Cassian read along with his Aunt, taking in the words the pages inked.

The book wasn't for his eyes, yet as his aunt's mate was, he was always involved with her business.

Shame burned his cheeks, He promised his Mother he'd try and get along with her mate's family. No matter how many times they said, they weren't and will never be his family.

One, he didn't want this family they offered him; and two, he didn't need them. Lotus would be perfectly fine with it just being his Mother and Nyx.

They were the only family he needed- no one else.

Sure, he loved his aunts Nesta and Elain but he didn't need them. Not like he needs them. Some days he'd sit at the top of the Mountains, daydreaming of his perfect life he could be living.

His mother sitting outside their small house, her head lacking the silver crown she wore; instead a golden one taking its place. Her eyes glowing with laughter as they watched Nyx trying to fly to only then end up landing on his butt.

In this dream, they were happy- free. She didn't wear the symbols of the Night and Mountains and Nyx didn't shine with the starlight of the Moon and Stars.

Instead, they both glowed with the colors of the Sun and the sparkle of the river and- he knew he was getting ahead of himself.

No matter how much he disliked the Night and it's stupid stars and it's glowing Moon and the bitter cold that snaked up his skin as he decended down the Mountains. These- ridiculously- things made Mother happy.

And for her, he'd endure it all. Lotus didn't want to become the male his father was. Especially towards her.

On the side of the room in a small corner, Azriel and Morrigan stood there, the scent of hot chocolate filling his nose. Though Lotus has never been into hot cocoa drinks, only trying it because his mother insisted; Big Mistake.

Lotus prefers Tea.

He walked towards the table filled with different types of foods, each smell of it making him hungrier by the second. He noticed Elain as she silently ate her food, though she seemed to be deep in her thoughts. Not to startle her, he started breathing a bit more loudly, taking in a deep inhale, alerting her that he was near.

Lotus remembered being outside for ours with his Aunt; tending to the flowers and weeds that started to grow. It was one of those rare moments that made him smile. He missed it at times. But he understood that she would like her own space while she was gardening, now more than ever since being made Fae.

After the years, she seemed to accept her new form, but he knew nightmares of that day still lurked. So, he gave her space. Sometimes waiting until it's night to use his powers on the flowers she had just planted.

Unlike his father, Lotus cannot shapeshift his body into an animal. But he can change his and other appearances. Kind of like tailoring.

He remembered once where he was just getting the hang of his new found abilities and Lotus had turned Alis's hair into a braid of flowers. She would have looked beautiful if it weren't for the huge petals blowing in her face all the time.

He wondered how she and her nephews were doing in the Summer Court. He hoped they were safe and happy. Alis was at times carrying an attitude like a weed who won't break but when she wasn't, Lotus cared for her.

Sitting down in the seat across his Aunt, he reached the small cup that suddenly filled itself with hot honey tea and some cookies filled with berry cream.

Learning a few things from his Mother, he managed to summon a few petals of lavender to put in his cup. He watched as everyone was stucked into their own little world. His Mother and Rhysand, Nesta and Cassian, Morrigan and Azriel.

Though Amren and her Summer prince weren't around. Not that he minded- he never got along with her. No matter how much she watched him with interest in her God eyes.

The same went with her lover; Varian. In truth, Lotus pitied the male. For a Prince of Adriata, it seems as if the moment he met Amren, he'd grown pathetic.

But Lotus would never say that, especially if Amren was around. He wasn't afraid of her, though he had every right to be, he just didn't have the patience to put up with her. He could already imagine his mother's face if she never heard his thoughts.

The morning was quiet and peaceful. The small sound of soft conversations and the light noise of the morning breeze, Lotus let himself relax in this moment.

However, the moment broke when his mother called his name.

"Lotus,"

He raised his eyes to meet her.

"Good morning."

He got up from his seat, making the sound as soft as possible as he kissed her head in greeting, followed by one for his brother. Lowering his eyes slightly to Rhysand.

Today, Lotus thought, Is going to be a long day.