Chapter Four

"What's on your mind? Other than me, of course," Talia asked him as they wandered down Velaris.

They were heading to his aunt's house; The House of Wind. Though they could have winnowed there, Lotus is a bit against going back inside.

The day was cold and dark, though he supposed that's what the Night court is for, right?

Lotus sat in a room with lights hanging from the ceiling, resembling the stars outside. The walls were black and if he focused enough, he could see the small outline design it had.

Hushed whispers were all he could hear. The smell of rain, salt, and citrus filled his lungs.

Lotus knew why he was here. Why, in the middle of the day, his mother had transported him from the Spring court to the Night.

She looked like nothing he remembered. Her eyes were brighter, her body more plum and healthy, her skin tanned and freckled. His Mother looked like a dream. Matching the crown on her head.

Beside her was a male, The male. The one who whenever Lotus looked at him, he felt the burning need to hit him. He knew that the male could hear his thoughts, feel his mind. Yet, he still looked at Lotus with kindness.

He hated it.

"Lotus," Mother whispered.

"This is Rhysand," Lotus looked up at him, him who has a name. One he would curse to eternity.

Rhysand sat beside him, sliding a chair from the table, his hand outstretched.

"Lotus, It's a pleasure to meet you," His voice of the night.

Lotus looked down, avoiding the males gaze, the tension grew. Rhysand sighed, taking back his hand, "I know I'm not your biological father, but I hope in time you'll realize that you are now part of this family, that you are my son."

Lotus raised his gaze at that, putting all his hatred, all his anger in his eyes, "I'd rather die than to ever be called your son,"

"Lotus!" His mother scolded, but her mate rested his hand on hers, calming her.

Rhysand met his eyes, Violet and Aqua never so opposite, "Okay," He nodded, standing up, "But just know, I'll always be here if you need me."

'I'll never need you,' he thought. Never before had Lotus felt like the white sheep in a herd of black.

He chuckled, "In your dreams," Talia brightened at his response.

"You're always in my dreams," She winked, earning an eye roll.

Eventually, once they reached the stairs of the House of Wind, they had no choice but to winnow. Not that Lotus cared if he had to climb the ten-thousand stairs, just that once they start, he won't hear the end of Talia's whines.

He wasn't at all surprised to find his mother and her family all around the table, what an inseparable group they were, annoyed him to no end.

"Talia!" Morrigan squealed when they entered the room. Running up to her to embrace her in a hug.

The Inner circle loved Talia the moment he first introduced her to his mother. And she just as much loved them.

If it wasn't for Lotus' selflessness to keep Talia to himself, he was sure that She could spend the rest of her life happily shopping with Morrigan, sparring with Cassian and painting with his mother.

The last one wasn't that bad.

Morrigan gave him a bright smile, leading them closer to the table filled with papers scattered, and small glasses of wine.

"It's been so long!" Morrigan exclaimed. It hasn't, just last week they saw each other.

"It has! You look just more beautiful than the last time I saw you!" Talia replied cheerfully. It took all he had to not roll his eyes.

"Why don't you stay and chat for a while?" Morrigan said, leading her to the table, however stopped when Lotus approached, his hand resting on Talia's back.

No words were spoken. As usual, the room silenced when he walked in or so much made a move. The feeling of his mother's eyes weighed him but he kept steadily, eyes never leaving Morrigan.

"You know," Talia began, "I'd love to but I already made plans," She spoke, noticing and trying to take tension out of the room.

Morrigan sighed, turning her piercing eyes to Talia, "Don't worry about it, it's fine."

His mothers eyes saddened as they locked with his and when they walked out, Lotus felt the weight lifted off.

***

"Why don't you just try and get along with them? Their nicer than you think," Talia said as they walked out to his aunt's Elain's garden. The sight of vibrant colors and fresh air easing him.

"You know why,"

Talia rolled her eyes, "Yes, Blah, your mother was taken, blah, your father went crazy, blah, you were then forced to move to the Night court, blah and blah blah blah blah, am I missing anything?"

He chuckled, "You forgot something,"

"Oh?" She challenged, "Do tell,"

He sat under Elain's Weeping Willow trees, while Talia rested above him, Her wings acting like a sort of blanket.

"I see the way they look at me," Lotus said, "As if at any moment I'll break and they are preparing themselves for the impact."

"What about your Father?"

Lotus closed his eyes, "I haven't seen my father in years,"

"How come?"

Because I want to kill him, except I'm not ready

"I don't know,"

He opened his eyes when he heard the rustling of leaves as Talia jumped down, HEr wings tangled in the vines. He stood to help her.

"Then take a vacation with me! Come with me to the Summer court, ease that beautiful head of yours and come back! It'll be fun," She said.

Lotus untangled the final vines, his cold eyes meeting her black eyes full of warmth. Never had Lotus felt the urge to paint her. A memory colored onto a canvas.

"Okay," He agreed, her face lighting up.

"On one conduction," She looked confused.

"I get to paint you," He whispered, picking a leaf off her head.

She gave him a wicked smile, "Deal,"

Except what he didn't know is that Talia had another thing in mind...