Chapter Seven

The silence seemed to stretch in the streets. Hardly anyone out as Lotus walked through the City, a small bag in his hand as he walked towards Talia's home.

He tried to find his Mother- wanting to apologize and kiss her goodbye but he couldn't find her. His heart ached. So he simply left two gifts for her and Nyx before he went to Talia's.

Lotus felt a heavy weight on his body as he walked. His hands unconsciously clenching and unclenching, want to grasp something- anything. His eyes were unfocused and drained. Power seemed to weigh him down.

One thing Lotus has always wished for is being normal. As a son of a High Lord and Lady, power flowed within his blood, each precious and dangerous. There were some benefits to having power, to be able to speed the growth of Flora and now shapeshifting.

What would it be like to fly?

Stand at the edge of a cliff without the fear of falling because you knew you could fly. Wings soaring with the wind, never against. Mother told him that she loved it. Also as much as painting.

Not to be burdened by memories or time.

She felt free.

What does freedom taste like?

His mind felt blank. Tired, exhausted that he didn't want to think. Maybe it's because of Calanmai, or his new discovered abilities- all he knew was that he wanted to close his eyes and never wake up.

Curled up on the floor as he stared at the window. His arms supporting his head as he watched his Mother flying with her mate, her stomach now swollen with child.

A babe.

A voice whispered that he should be angry, betrayed. It was only a matter of time before they realized that Lotus wasn't going to accept this new "family" so they made their own. Somehow that only made him twitch.

He wasn't sure what to feel.

It was times like these that he wished to be home but... does he even have one now?

He turned away from the view. Letting his mind form images in his head.

Moments are just as fast as seconds. Only replaying like a moving painting in your head once you close your eyes. And that's what he wanted.

To close his eyes and never wake up.

Lotus stopped at Talia's door. He could hear their voices- clear and full. Just being around this house, anyone could feel how loving and kind the Fae inside were. A field of music seemed to surround her home.

A part of him hesitated as he reached to knock.

Could he say goodbye to her? How was he supposed to- would he be able to look at her, fall deep in her, tell her that he's leaving and that when he came back, he would be someone different.

Lotus straighten.

He wouldn't- couldn't cower from this.

"Lotus! What a nice surprise-" Talia's Mother said, opening the rest of the door to lead him inside. "Come in, come in! I just made some muffins- freshly out and warm. You could take some home for your Mother and brother! Is he old enough to start eating solid foods? Take some either way, I've made enough to feed an army," she chuckled. It made Lotus soften his eyes at her.

Talia is her Father's Daughter but those few things she has from her Mother is her speech. They always had something to talk about- never once from the times he'd met them out of something to talk about.

"Alaric! Lotus has come to pay us a visit!"

Already knowing the house from the inside and out, he passed the flowers to Talia's mother, her cheeks darkening. Talia's father stood in the kitchen, his hands scarred like Azriel's, once used to fight in battles now smoothing out dough.

His black eyes met Lotus's. A male of few words, speaking when necessary, each word important and wise. A listener. Observer. Lotus lowered his head in greeting, showing his respect as he let him into his home.

Alaric's eyes closed for a second- two before resuming what he was doing.

"Talia's out in the pool if you come to speak with her- if you want, I'm sure Alaric has an extra swim short for you to borrow so you can join her. Honey, do you know-"

"It's quite alright ma'am," he gently interrupted. "I've just come to say goodbye before I leave to the Spring Court."

"Oh? What for? I thought you didn't leave until a few months later."

"My Father sent me a letter to invite me to celebrate Calanmai. As the only heir of Spring, he reminded me that since I've come of age, I should perform to make sure magic spreads across the lands."

A pause went around the room. Lotus was aware that Talia told her parents of his and his "family" situations. He trusted her, and since these are the people who raised her- how could he not trust them as well?

"Do you want this?" Talia's father said. His voice is deep and strong.

Lotus looked at him, making sure his gaze was steady. "I need to do this."

Talia's mother grasped his hand, rubbing circles on his palm. "Calanmai is a big celebration. It requires strength, power and mating. Are you sure you're up for that? There is no shame in telling him no."

"It doesn't matter if I'm ready or not. My body has been gathering power for this, It's slowly draining me and if I don't perform in the Fire Rite, magic will not spread throughout the court. The people need Spring. I have no choice." Lotus smiled sadly at her, covering her hand in his.

"There's always a choice,"

Lotus turned to see Talia. Her hair tied together in a long braid, dripping water on the floor as she walked towards him. Wetting his shirt as she crushed him in a hug, her wings around them like a blanket of snow. He hugged back.

"You don't have to go," she whispered.

He rested his head against hers, "I do, darling."

He felt lost in her. Could care less that he was soaking his clothes as he pushed her harder against him. He wasn't ready. He didn't want to participate in Calanmai, but he had to. He needed to.

"We'll be here waiting for you with Tea and muffins when you come back."

He let himself smile. Making room for Talia's mother as she joined in, along with Alaric. His best friend's family was his family. His real family.

They were light and sound and touch.

Warm.

Lotus has been cold for so long.

***

He kissed Talia and her mother goodbye, nodding to Alaric as he walked away. His hands held a basket of muffins with him.

He winnowed himself back to the House of Wind to collect his things. Everything packed and organized. Not a trace of him behind- not even his scent as he winnowed himself to the Spring Court.

__________

Hello my readers! Thank you so much for your patience, I'm sorry i haven't been post much lately but I promise that it's not because I've forgot or am just lazy. Personal situation in which I'll explain later because it's 10:52 p.m. right now.

Again thank you for waiting. I hope everyone is having a great summer!

Also, does anyone know any good books to read?