Chapter Ten

Lotus never used chalk before. He found the material dull and messy, how it stains your hands and smears the page when you swipe the remains away. It lacks the vibrancy of emotion and thoughts; who would spend their time making such a sad thing?

It was meaningless, empty, depressing. It was the image in your mind of when you're looking back and the memory is faded; forgotten.

He grumbled curses under his breath as the dust smudged on his skin, breathing slowly to calm the nerves before continuing.

He could hear Talia's voice ring in his head,

Hypocrite.

Lotus continued outlining the female's dress of dandelions, her hair of flame dying down from a wildfire to a candle. Only burning to not let the darkness in.

She rested against a grave, the stone new and smooth, engraved on it a name he did not recognize.

He did not understand why he was drawing her, why he feels so attached or- connected to her.

Lotus ignored the questions swarming in his head as he recalled the memory and finished the details of the dream.

Indigo eyes shaded in black, vacant and lost. Somewhere in a place of despair and pain. Whoever they mourned must have touched their heart deeply to be this sadden.

This emotional.

Shadows slowly danced at her fingertips but she paid them no mind, unfocused in the world around her as she lost herself in agony and angst.

However, despite her grief, and her sorrow, when the world seemed to hold its breath and the paper ridden in black and white began to move, he sensed something else in her.

It was a beastly thing, something godly and his hand clenched.

She looked angry, vengeful. Blood rained down, and a moment of chaos swirled in her eyes before she blinked.

What in the Caldron-

"There you are."

Lotus flinched at the sound of Calian's voice, quickly folding the paper and stuffing it inside his pocket. He'd come back to it later.

"Having fun, are we?" He chuckled, as he tried and failed miserably to brush the chalk off him. "Do you want to go get cleaned up?"

"Nevermind it. Why are you here, Calian?"

"Calanmai is tonight, my prince. We need your opinion on getting everything ready."

"You know how my Father does it every year, the same old everything," He waved him off.

"Yes, my prince. Your Father. However this year is your Calanmai and the rest to come."

"I'm not taking the throne, Calian." Lotus grumbled. Tamlin may have decided this festival for him but it'll take a century for him to ever give him the crown. If there's something his Father loves most is authority over someone.

Especially since he lacks the power to do so. Like a certain male he hates and Lotus loathes.

"I understand. But if I've known anything about you since we first met is that you don't want to be anything like your Father," Calian spoke honestly, reaching to stand beside him. His hand on his shoulder and he spoke with a tone that made Lotus glance him an eye. "So why celebrate Calanmai like him? It's yours tonight, not his."

Calian was always a stubborn one.

Calanmai meant nothing to Lotus, he felt like he made that perfectly clear. It didn't matter if he performed in this wretched celebration, Lotus could care less if Spring continued or not. So why should it matter what type of flowers or foods should be held out?

However, he'd humor Calian so he'd leave Lotus alone. Who's thoughts still linger on the sketch he drew. "I'd hate to be exactly like my Father."

Even though he already was.

Calian's smile lowered slightly and his eyes shone with disbelief but Lotus stared right back into his Violet eyes. His body language and tone asking for him to drop it.

But then Calian rested his hand over Lotus' heart, where something stone and broken laid and stood by him, gently whispering in his ear. "You don't have to pretend to care. Especially not with me, just say the word and I'll take care of Calanmai's preparations."

Lotus clenched his hands and lowered his hand. Feeling Calian's own squeeze gently. "Okay." He said, just to get rid of him.

And left Lotus to his thoughts at last.

But all he could do was stare at Calian's back.

The sketch long forgotten.

****

Lotus had never wished to burn his skin until now.

He wanted to peel the flesh off on where Calian lad rested his hand, over a heart of stone. He felt as though air was becoming hard to take in, goosebumps making him shiver and Lotus swore he felt his heart crack.

He hated when this happened. He felt unfaithful. A cheater.

Though he knew how to hide his emotions, how to mask them; he never once lied to himself about them.

But at this moment, he couldn't confront them.

The truth wanted to whisper but Lotus wouldn't admit them.

He couldn't think about them at the moment anyway, The female haunting his thoughts, Calanmai, he had no time to dwell on these feelings. Ones he did not care for.

For once, and only then would he be like Rhysand.

Stay faithful to his mate. His other half. His equal.

The one who talks too much, who is bright and sunny. Who burns in fire and carries agony like tattoos, who made his stone heart cr-

Lotus couldn't think.

They kept blending in. He couldn't separate them.

Lotus signed, he needed a drink.

Good thing he stashed one from Rhysand's collection.

________

Sorry this took so long! And that this isn't very long but I'll be sure to make the next one a lot longer. THANK YOU!