Chapter Nineteen

Everyone avoided where she steps. Almost afraid as if the ground itself would swallow them whole. It's a deadly suspense that leaves everyone on edge, Including the House of Wind itself. Which usually flows with life, its own walls breathing hold their breath in her hall.

Where her meal always rests.

Unless it's Rhysand, Lotus takes it upon himself to deliver her food.

She never opens the door, nor eats the food they've prepared.

The residents couldn't care less if she starved, though despite her stubbornness, Lotus would shove down the food in her throat if that's what it took.

"How is she?"

The sun was rather bright today, the lighting of it making the trees and plants his Aunt Elain had planted almost reminded him as if he was back in the Court of Spring. At the moment with a cup of tea and a paintbrush in his hand- It would have been paradise.

But he decided he wouldn't spend the day sober with a deceased psycho female's daughter fathered by his mother's mate living just a few stories away.

So he stole a bottle of wine from Rhysand's cellar.

Grateful he decided to drink while Talia rambled on questions about said Daughter with Calian feeding her curiosity with even more questions to attack him with.

"Bitchy."

He grinned at Talia's eyeroll. "Seriously Lotus?"

Calian chuckled.

"What?" he shrugged, "I'm being honest, Her bark is as annoying as her bite."

"Having trouble with your step-sister, Prince?" Calian said, humor in his tone but Lotus shot him a glare, "I think you two are more similar than you think."

"Curse the Caldron, Calian. I've treated you nicely haven't I? How could you say such a blasphemy thing?"

"Truth hurts," shrugged Talia. He shook his head and drank the rest of the wine in a gulp. "At this point, I might as well stay a little drunk until I become High Lord."

"A good tale never started with water" Calian nodded, swirling his glass, "The High Lord of Night has good taste." Lotus choked on his drink, staring at him with wide eyes, Calian rolled his, "Of course I knew you stole this, Lotus. I don't think you've ever drunk a wine you've ever bought yourself."

He straightened, "Thievery adds to the flavor."

The male chuckled, and poured himself and Lotus more. Talia doesn't drink, she finds the flavor distasteful but he would disagree, taking wine over tea anyday.

He tried to catch her eyes when he noticed her expression lost in thought. Her wings were spread beautifully behind her, catching the sun's glare and simply adding to the scenery. The typically black, illyrian wings were never suited for her, the Mother made a well choice to pair her with white.

Lotus noticed Calian too, had his eyes on her, a softness resting in his amethyst gaze.

His heart squeezed. Did he fancy her?

It would make sense if he did and Lotus wouldn't blame him for it. Talia was more than just beautiful, she was his best friend and if he wasn't so in love with someone else, he would have fallen for her, in a heartbeat. In a blink.

Did Calian fall for her in a heartbeat?

He quickly glanced away, feeling the beast inside him stir at his thoughts. He stood up abruptly, "Well, I'll be taking my leave now, see if our new guest will join me for a drink."