Chapter Seventeen

Lotus wondered why she was still breathing with the way Rhysand was looking at her.

Two pairs of eyes so similar and yet completely at the same time. There was amusement in hers and in his was rage, staring the other down like two predators claiming the other prey.

It wasn't until Lotus took in the situation did he realize why she still stood proud against the most dangerous High Lord in Prythian.

Azriel's shadows fought against the other in the walls. A battle between himself as his shadows spiraled. Blood slowlying running down his eyes as though the darkness turned on him from the inside. Cassian at his side, despite to help his brother as Rhysand stood face to face with "Amarantha."

No, not Amarantha, Lotus reminded himself. Simply someone with similar facial features as her. Someone who he could never get out of his head.

"Let him go," Rhysand growled, promising death in his words if she so much as denied him or even followed his orders. There was no good ending for her. Even Lotus glanced away at him, for once the beast inside quiet. But he felt eyes on him and when he looked back, she was looking straight at him. The King of Night seemed murderous at her lack of attention on him.

Her eyes met Lotus.

"You're not Tamlin,"

Before Lotus could even speak, his Mother blocked her view of him. "I would suggest listening to my mate, and to get your filthy gaze off my son."

Feyre held "Amarantha's" gaze, madness in her eyes while the female only smiled.
In a flick of her wrist, Azriel's shadows were freed. The Illyrian himself collapsing from the sudden pressure, Cassian holding him up. However, just as quickly, Rhysand's magic was moving on its own, panic in the High lord's eyes as it turned on everyone in the room. Choking them, taking away their air, playing with their minds.

"Come closer, boy. Let me get a good look of you."

His Mother had an iron grip on him.

Still "Amarantha" challenged her, now everyone on their knees except for himself, Feyre and Rhysand. "I'll ask nicely only once, Feyre," the amount of magic in the air made the house rumble, the mountains outside looked like they were moving closer, the attempt to crush Velaris promised in her eyes if his Mother didn't move. Innocent blood spilling like waterfalls. Everyone was powerless, the thought made him shiver. When they are all supposed to be the most powerful... "Move."

Lotus gently took his hand in hers, clenching them tightly to make her look at him. Blue eyes forming tears ready to spill. He understands the place she was put in. The sacrifice she had to make. The feeling that were boiling inside her, how useless she was at that moment, just like when she was human. The progress to make sure she never felt that way again, all down the drain.

He smiled softly at her, "It's okay, Mama."

She didn't want to let him go,  sobs choked back in her throat as she shook her head. But he took her face in his hands, worried at how pale everyone looked. He forced her eyes to meet his, "You have to let me go."

"No," She sobbed, " Lotus, no."

His eyes softened at her. It's okay, he thought. Seeing her eyes widen at how he spoke in her mind. It's okay.

Feyre felt her heart tear in two at the sight of her family suffering but she couldn't let her son go. Not back to that monster. Not her baby.

But what could she do?

Tears ran unending down her face, "I'm sorry," but all he did was kiss her gently on her head.

"It's okay," He said one more time, before her hand slipped from his grasp.