➢ CHAPTER ONE

MONDAY, DECEMBER 5, 1994

"Would you... Would you wanna go out with me sometime?"

It was the first time (Y/N) could remember ever seeing him nervous. For as long as she'd known him, Lev was this calm, charismatic guy. He could talk to anyone, do anything, and not show a hint of fear. He was unshakable. But there Lev stood, white-blonde hair falling into his pale face, almost covering those nervous red eyes. He was tense. Even that little half-smile of his that she knew so wel was tinged with anxiety. It seemed unlikely to her that she could have such an effect on him, and yet it was apparent she did.

(Y/N) smiled, a lightly teasing glint in her (E/C) eyes. "Depends," she answered. "Where'd you take me?"

"Well, uh, um──" Lev stammered, before clearing his throat. "I was thinking... you could come to my place. Watch some scary movies, eat some popcorn and candy... make a pillow fort, or - or something."

"Or something?"

He scratched the back of his neck awkwardly, and nodded. "Yeah, yeah, whatever you want," he said. "We can do whatever you want." His smile, though still nervous, seemed a little more sure now. "...So will you go out with me?"

(Y/N) hummed, pretending to think about it. "What kind of popcorn?"

"Act II," Lev answered quickly. "With extra butter."

"Well in that case," she joked, a smile coming onto her face. "Yes, I'll go out with you."

"Really?" Lev looked so surprised, eyes all bright and excited. It was endearing to (Y/N). "You'll go out with me?"

"Yeah, dummy, that's what I said, isn't it?" Her grin widened.

But Lev seemed too caught up in his own excitement to even notice her teasing. "Awesome!" He pumped his fist in the air. "Can you do Friday night, maybe six?"

She nodded. "Yeah, six works great."

"Awesome," he said again, not taking his eyes off of her. "I can't wait." The tardy bell rang, warning them that they had 45 seconds before class started. Lev's red eyes looked up regretfully, before his gaze returned to (Y/N) and the smile came back onto his face. "I gotta go now," he said.

"Yeah, same here," she replied.

"You won't regret this, I promise."

(Y/N) gave one last smile. "I'm counting on it." With that, she turned around, and walked to class. She didn't have to turn around to know he was watching her go, gaze transfixed on her departing form, like a lovesick puppy.

•┈┈┈••✦ ♡ ✦••┈┈┈•

WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 23, 1996

And there the two of them stood. Same school, same hallway, almost two years later. Things had changed dramatically since that day. They'd dated, on and off and on again, for the past couple years. Had screaming matches and makeup kisses and everything in between. But one thing hadn't changed. The look on Lev's face, as he stared into her eyes. It was nervous in a way that only she could bring out of him. To the rest of the world, he was cool and collected. But for her - and her alone - he was vulnerable.

But (Y/N)? (Y/N) looked as calm as could be. As much as she cared for Lev, she couldn't let herself be vulnerable. Not even for a moment. Not even for him.

"C'mon, (Y/N)," Lev pleaded, his red eyes staring intensely into hers'. "I don't wanna fight anymore."

"Neither do I," she said, and there was a twinge of gentleness in her voice. A bit of pity in her (E/C) eyes. "And that's why I don't wanna get back together."

"(Y/N), please!" Desperation filled his voice. "...I love you."

"I love you too, but──"

"Not 'but'... don't say 'but'," Lev muttered, stepping closer. "Please... We can make this work. I'll be the best boyfriend. We won't fight anymore, we'll be happy together, we──" His pale hands reached up to touch her face, and she let him. "We can make this work."

"Couples fight, it's normal," (Y/N) mumbled, her eyes looking down at his hands cupping her face.

"Then why are we breaking up over it?"

She shook her head.

"C'mon, (Y/N)," he whispered. "One more chance."

She said nothing. She just kept looking down at his hands.

"We can hang at my place. Watch some scary movies. Eat popcorn. Just like our first date, yeah?" Lev put on that half-smile, as he looked down at her. "What do you say?"

She shook her head. "I can't..."

His smile fell. "What do you mean you can't?"

"I can't," she said again. She removed his gentle hands from her face, and held them for just a moment. But she dropped them, and her hands fell to her side. "I've gotta go... I'll, um, I'll see you around."

Their relationship ended just as it began. With Lev's red-eyed gaze following (Y/N) as she walked away. Only this time, the pounding heartbeat in his ears wasn't out of excitement. This time, there was nothing happy about this moment. This time, there was only one thought to bring him comfort:

'It isn't over...'