➢ CHAPTER ELEVEN

WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 6, 1996

"Can I walk you home?"

The afternoon had been filled with laughter and warmth. Surprisingly, Lev stayed true to his word, and hadn't made any sort of move on her. There were longing glances thrown her direction, but (Y/N) was fairly certain Lev wasn't even aware of them himself. They'd pushed each other on the swings, catching up on the little details in their lives. Of course, (Y/N) was selective about what she shared; her mom was never mentioned. Still, it was nice. She'd forgotten how easy it was to talk to Lev. She'd forgotten how much she loved him.

(Y/N) hesitated. Lev had already seen where she lived. She didn't think he'd ask to come inside. She nodded. "Yeah, sure."

The walk to (Y/N)'s home was a fairly short one. She'd always liked living near the park. It was a nice place to get away from it all.

"Y'know, I'm actually in the process of moving out," Lev mentioned.

"Oh yeah?"

He hummed. "Yeah, I plan on leaving in about a week. I turned 18 a couple months back. Got a job at a book store, found a nice little apartment." He gave a half-smile, turning to look at her as they walked. "You should come by and see it sometime."

(Y/N) wasn't sure that was a good idea, but didn't have the heart to tell him that. "Why'd you decide to move out?" She changed the subject.

"Ah, I wanted some more independence," Lev answered. "My mom's been on my back a lot lately, y'know?"

"If your mom's on your back, you probably deserve it."

He laughed.

"I'm serious! That woman is right about everything." (Y/N) chuckled. "Ah, I love her."

Lev nodded. "She misses you, y'know?" He commented. "She's always asking when you'll come back."

(Y/N) smiled fondly. "I never did get to try her borscht."

"It would, uh── it would be cool if you came over, said hi," he stammered. "It'd make my mom really happy." It was obvious that his mom wouldn't be the only one who would be happy if she came over.

"Lev..."

"I know, I know," he sighed. "I just── I miss you. And I don't even understand why we broke up."

"We had that fight, remember?"

"We both said things we didn't mean, but I── but I forgive you. I'll always forgive you."

"I thought you said you wouldn't make any moves on me," she murmured.

Lev sighed. "Yeah," he said. "Yeah, you're right. I'm sorry."

(Y/N) nodded silently.

The rest of the walk continued in silence.

As the door shut behind (Y/N), she became aware of a warm and vaguely sugary scent filling her apartment. 'Weird.' she thought. 'Did Mom light a bunch of candles or something?' Taking off her shoes, she walked into the living room. "Mom! I'm home," she said.

"In here, baby!"

She walked into the kitchen, and was surprised to see her mom surrounded by various baked goods. Cookies, pastries, muffins, even a cake. All seemingly home-made, as evidenced by the flour-covered apron her mom was wearing. She didn't even think her mom knew how to make half of this stuff, but apparently she'd figured it out.

"Are you having a bake sale or something...?" (Y/N) asked, looking around.

Her mom laughed. "No, baby, I just wanted to do something special for us!" Seeing (Y/N)'s continued confusion, she went on. "I was at the mall, and I saw the cutest apron──" She gestured to the apron she was wearing. "──and I just got inspired! Like, I was picturing me in the apron, baking all these things. And it was so perfect! So I bought a bunch of baking supplies."

"Where did you get the money for all this?" (Y/N) asked. Her mom had been fired, and took a probably-expensive road trip, plus bought a whole bunch of alcohol. So it just didn't seem possible.

"Oh, I saw you had some cash in your room, so I iust borrowed that!"

"...Without asking?"

Her mom clearly didn't see the problem with this. "Yeah! You were at school, and you've always been so sweet! I figured you wouldn't mind. Anyway!" she moved right past that, seeming oblivious to (Y/N)'s growing frustration. "I was thinking, since I'm so good at this baking thing, I could become a baker! It'd be such a shame to waste all this natural talent, y'know?"

(Y/N) inhaled deeply, trying to calm herself down. 'It's not her fault, you know this. You can't yell at her. It's not her fault she's like this. Don't yell.'

But her mom appeared insistent on wearing on her nerves. "Do you think I could borrow some more money? Just to get the business started?"

"What, so you can quit that two weeks later when you're bored of it?" (Y/N) snapped before she could stop herself.

Her mom was clearly taken aback. "What are you saying...?"

"I'm saying you can't keep borrowing money from me! Especially without asking! I need that money. I'm trying to make something of myself, get out of here, and finally have a life that doesn't revolve around you."

Silence filled the room, suffocating the pair as they looked at each other. Her (E/C) eyes softened, as (Y/N) realized what she'd said, and how hard her mom would likely take it. "Mom, I──" She started, but was quickly cut off, as her mom's eyes flared with indignant rage.

"Don't," the older woman interrupted. "You── You think you're so much better than me, don't you? You think you're the only one who wants to get out of here? You're the only one with dreams? I've given everything for you. The── The sacrifices I've made for you── only for you to snap at me? Call me selfish?"

"Mom, I'm sorry, I──"

"I don't want to hear it!" Her mom blinked back tears of rage. "You don't understand how hard I've had it. I had you when I was 16. You think I wanted to have a baby that young? You think I wanted you?" She scoffed. "I didn't. You have been a burden to me from day one. You never appreciate me, or anything I've done for you. You think I'm some crazy lady you have to try to fix! Just like your shitty dad. Well I didn't need him, and I don't need you."

(Y/N)'s voice was pleading as she neared tears. "Mom──"

"Get out of my house." Her voice was hard as stone, and just as unmoving. "I don't want to see your face. Maybe you'll learn to appreciate me more when you see how cruel the real world is."

"Please, Mom...."

"Get out!"

The door shut behind (Y/N), and heard the faint sound of the lock clicking. She couldn't stop the tears from falling down her face. Sobs tumbled out of her mouth.

She didn't know what she was gonna do.