➢ CHAPTER SIX

WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 11, 1995

"Lev, lyubimyy, don't mess it up with this one, yes? I want to see her again."

(Y/N) giggled, and Lev looked a little embarrassed.

"I am serious, lyubimyy, I like her!" the older woman continued. "She has pretty smile and a strong spirit. Don't mess things up."

"Yes, Mama," he said sheepishly.

"Don't worry, Mrs. Ivanov," (Y/N) assured her, a spark in those (E/C) eyes. "He's doing great so far. I don't think he would do anything to make me mad." She leaned in a little closer to the older woman, so that Lev couldn't quite hear. "And if he did, he's cute enough for me to forgive him."

Lev's mother laughed. "Good, good," she said warmly. "You come over any time you want, understand? My home is yours."

(Y/N)'s smile only widened when she saw her boyfriend nodding in agreement. "I definitely will, thank you," she said. "Do you need any help cleaning up?"

"See, this is what I'm talking about! Such a sweetheart," Mrs. Ivanov exclaimed, before turning back to face (Y/N). "I don't need help, but thank you, rybka. Just take home some pelmeni, okay?"

At this point, (Y/N) knew better than to argue with the woman. So she accepted with a grateful smile. "I better head home now," she said.

"Do you need a ride?" Lev asked.

She shook her head. "No, thanks, I live not too far from here anyway."

"Are you sure?" Lev's mother chimed in. "In the dark, crooks will smell my pelmeni, and try to mug you for it."

(Y/N) laughed. "No, really, I'm okay," she assured the pair. "I can handle myself. And if anyone tries to take the pelmeni, I'll beat 'em over the head with it."

Mrs. Ivanov laughed warmly at that. "Good girl, good girl," she said.

"This has been great; thanks again for having me over." (Y/N) smiled. She gave Lev a quick peck on the cheek, before waving goodbye to his mom. "Bye, see you later," she said. She headed to the front door, but before she left, she heard Lev's mother call him stupid for not insisting to give her a ride. (Y/N) shook her head in amusement.

It was her first time meeting Lev's mother, and it had gone so much better than expected. Both her and Lev had been nervous about it, but Mrs. Ivanov seemed to really like her. And the feeling was mutual. (Y/N) didn't always understand what the older woman was saying, between her thick accent and strange Russian terms of endearment. But the woman had a warmth within her that made her come across as very welcoming and sweet. (Y/N) was glad Lev's mother seemed to want her to return soon.

She just hoped it wouldn't lead Lev to ask to meet her mom.

•┈┈┈••✦ ♡ ✦••┈┈┈•

FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 1, 1996

"Micah, hey! Where've you been?"

(Y/N) sat towards the back of her 4th period English class, typically with her friend Micah. He was one of the few of Lev's friends she'd actually continued talking to since the breakup. They'd talk and laugh, usually get in trouble with the teacher, Mrs. Pennington. But he'd been absent since Monday. It wasn't all that unlike him; Micah had been known to skip a class or two. Just not usually this class and definitely not for that many days in a row.

Micah looked at her, and gave a nervous smile. He looked around, and froze when his gaze fell upon the open door.

Confused, (Y/N) looked at the door, but she didn't see anybody. When she looked back, Micah was walking towards the front of the other side of the classroom.

'What's his deal...?'

After a moment, however, her friend's spot was taken by an unfamiliar face. He was pretty tall, and he had wavy black hair that easily reached his shoulders. He had a sleeveless Pearl Jam shirt on, and a long dangly earring in his left ear.

"Hey, I'm Tony," he greeted, drumming his hands on the table.

"(Y/N)," she replied, with a nod of her head. "Nice shirt. I love Pearl Jam."

"Oh, yeah? Thanks."

"You new here, Tony?"

He nodded. "Yeah, it's my first day," he answered, grinning softly. "Maybe you could, uh, show me around? Give me a tour?" He bit his lip.

"Yeah, maybe," (Y/N) said. "Let me see your schedule."

He pulled it out of his pocket, unfolded it, and set it down on the shared table. She examined it for a few moments, humming under her breath───  a Pearl Jam song, actually. "Okay," she muttered, looking up at Tony, who had been watching her look over his schedule. "Looks like we don't have next period together, but we have lunch and the same sixth and seventh."

"Yeah?"

"Me and my friend, Jess, usually go to McDonald's for lunch. You wanna come with?"

Tony grinned. "Sounds great," he answered with a nod.

"Sweet, meet us by the front doors at lunch."

"(L/N), De Léon," came the sharp voice of Mrs. Pennington. "Quiet back there."

(Y/N) was accustomed to the teacher yelling at her, but there were typically no real consequences. She clearly wasn't all that bothered by the reprimand. However, she did quiet down a bit. Only making the occasional comment. Once the bell rang, she gathered up her belongings.

"I'll see you at lunch, yeah?" (Y/N) said.

Tony nodded in confirmation. "See you at lunch."

(Y/N) slung her backpack over one shoulder, (E/C) eyes falling upon Micah. He seemed to have been staring in her direction, but he looked away quickly when he saw her looking his way. He rushed out of the classroom, even leaving behind his backpack in the process.

(Y/N) picked it up on her way out, and went to follow behind him, but he was nowhere in sight.

"What's up with him...?" She muttered to herself.

"What's up with who?"

(Y/N) jumped, clearly startled. She turned to see Lev standing behind her, leaning against a locker with his arms crossed. He gave that easygoing half-smile.

She didn't notice the dangerous glint in his eyes.

"Micah," she finally answered. "He skipped all week, and then today he was all nervous. He sat away from me, and as soon as the bell rang, he rant out so fast he forgot his backpack."

Lev hummed. "That's so weird," he muttered. "I wonder what's wrong with him."

"Right!" (Y/N) let out a sigh. "Anyway, I gotta figure out how to give him backpack back."

"Oh, I see him at lunch," Lev said. "I'll give it to him then." He offered out his hand to grab the backpack from her.

"Oh, cool, thanks."

"Yeah," Lev smiled, as he took the backpack. "No problem."