➢ CHAPTER FOUR

MONDAY, OCTOBER 28, 1996

"(Y/N)! (Y/N), wait up!"

She had been walking out the front doors of Greenville High, arms linked with Jess, when he came up to her. It had been a long day - Mondays always seemed to be - and all she really wanted to do was make dinner and go straight to sleep. But it seemed there was an obstacle in this brilliant plan of hers, and that obstacle came in the form of her ex-boyfriend, Lev.

Upon seeming him, Jess removed her arm from her friend's.

(Y/N) greeted Lev somewhat hesitantly. "What's up?"

"I was wondering if you had any plans for, uh, Halloween...?" He asked, a hopeful smile showcasing his pearly white teeth.

"Yeah," she said. "Me and Jess were gonna go to that haunted house." She gave him a quizzical look. "Why do you ask?"

"Oh..." Lev visibly deflated. "I was just, uh──  I was just wanting to do something with you, is all."

(Y/N) sighed. "Lev, what part of a breakup don't you understand?"

"I'm gonna go──" Jess said, starting to walk away.

(Y/N) caught her arm."No, don't," she said, before turning to Lev. "We're done here, right?"

"(Y/N)," Lev pleaded.

"I'll see you tomorrow, sixth period. Okay?"

He stared into her eyes for a moment, seemingly searching for something. But whatever it was, he either found it or didn't. He nodded, and looked away. "Yeah," he muttered. "See you tomorrow."

With Lev gone, they walked to Jess' car, the pair now quiet. Jess appeared to have something on her mind, and for once she seemed hesitant to say it. Apparently she settled on changing the topic, because she asked, "Need a ride home?"

"Actually, can you drop me off at Walmart?" (Y/N) asked. "I need some groceries."

Jess nodded. "Sure thing."

They stepped into her car, and began driving down the road. (Y/N) immediately turned on the radio, and grinned as a familiar song came on. She turned it up.

"I hate this song, it's so stupid!" Jess complained.

"No, no, it's great, really," (Y/N) insisted.

──and i said "what about
Breakfast At Tiffany's?"
she said "i think i
remember that film"
and as i recall i think
we both kinda liked it
and i said "well that's
one thing we've got!"

"It's so weird!" Jess said. "The whole point of the song is that their relationship won't work because they have nothing in common, and this dude brings up a movie she's not even sure she remembers as proof!"

"Exactly!" (Y/N) laughed. "It's hilarious!"

───it's plain to see we're over
and i hate when things are over
when so much is left undone

and i said "what ab──"

"That's it, I'm changing it," Jess said, reaching over to change radio stations. She flipped through a couple, before she found one she liked.

──in the corner
that's me in the spotlight
losing my religion
trying to keep up with you
and i don't know if i can do it
oh no i've said too much
i haven't said enough

"See? Now this is a good song!" Jess grinned.

"It's not a classic like Breakfast At Tiffany's, but it'll do, I guess."

"Well, I would hope so, since it's my car."

"Yeah, yeah, whatever." (Y/N) was just glad they were back to laughing again. Everything felt so awkward after Lev came up to them. She didn't even know why. Jess kept saying they should get back together. But she had been all weird and quiet.

It didn't matter. All she cared about was that they were back to laughing together again.

Jess dropped (Y/N) off at Walmart, and drove off. She said she would've gone with her, but her mom had guests and wanted her home as soon as possible. (Y/N) wouldn't have let her come with her anyway, but she didn't tell her that. It was bad enough having Lev see where she lived; she didn't need her best friend seeing it, too. And saying that would only make Jess more curious than she already was, so she was grateful for Jess' mom keeping her busy, even if Jess herself wasn't.

Shopping didn't take too long. When you had a small budget and only yourself to carry all the groceries, you didn't tend to buy too much.

Unlocking the door with her hands full was always a challenge, but she managed. She shut and locked the door behind her, and set the groceries down on the kitchen counter.

"Mom, I'm home!" She called out. No answer. It wasn't until after (Y/N) put the groceries away that she noticed the note on the kitchen counter.

Hiya, baby! It's Mom. You'll never guess what happened!! Eric is taking me to this guy he knows from a record label, and I'm gonna get to sing for him!! It's gonna be so great, honey. I was always told I have the voice of an angel and now I'm finally getting some recognition for it! The guy lives up in New York so I'm gonna be gone for a few days, maybe longer. New York City, isn't that great!

I'm a little low on cash right now, so I can't leave you any money, baby. My boss fired me for not showing up the past week. What an ass, right! You can't just restrict a creative spirit like me! But don't worry, baby, I'll get plenty of money when I get discovered. You still have that job at Blockbuster, right? I know you'll be fine. My baby's a hard worker.

I'll be back as soon as I can, promise. Maybe you can go over to your boyfriend's for a few days! Just don't get pregnant, alright? I know I make motherhood look easy, but it isn't.

Anywho! I love you, baby. Wish me luck! I'll call when I get to New York.

(Y/N) set the note down with a sigh. "That's great, Mom," she mumbled. She grabbed a cup of ramen noodles from a cabinet, not really feeling up to cooking anything.

At this point, she just wanted some sleep.