➢ CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE

FRIDAY, APRIL 7, 1995

Lev's head laid in (Y/N)'s lap, as she played with his white-blonde hair in silence. Quiet snores emitted from him. It was late, and though she wasn't sleeping, he clearly didn't suffer from any sort of insomnia.

It was one of the many nights she'd come over to spend the night. Lev's mother was okay with the arrangement, as long as they didn't leave any doors closed. And by now, the older woman viewed her as part of the family.

(Y/N) was very thankful for that. Especially as her own situation at home continued to implode.

Tonight had been a particularly bad fight with her mother. Over the years, her disorder had gotten worse and worse. Of course, there were some periods where she seemed to be doing better. There were times she was loving, involved, and genuinely... happy. But they'd become increasingly few and far between.

(Y/N) couldn't even remember what the fight had been about. Most of it was a blur, really. But it ended with her mom shoving her out of her way, and her falling and slamming her head against the coffee table.

It wasn't the first time she'd been physically hurt after an argument with her mom, but it was probably the worst. She wasn't bleeding, but she was nauseous and dizzy and likely earned herself a concussion.

She was feeling pretty drowsy, but she'd heard in her health class freshman year that sleeping was dangerous with head injuries. Since she couldn't really go to the doctor without her mom signing forms, she was stuck keeping herself awake all night, just in case.

But she glanced down at the sleeping male on her lap, and smiled.

At least she had Lev.

•┈┈┈••✦ ♡ ✦••┈┈┈•

TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 12, 1996

(Y/N) sat uneasily in the cafeteria of the psych ward. It was the first visitation hours her mom had been cleared for since she was admitted. She hoped her mom was doing well. She'd never really been open to getting help before, but maybe now that things had gotten so──  so dire, maybe she'd be more willing.

That's what (Y/N) was hoping for, at least.

She looked around the cafeteria. At least she seemed to be holding it together better than some. There were a few visitors here who were openly weeping. Others appeared totally dissociated from it all, just tired and out of it. And then there were those like her. Who were quietly looking around the room, anxiously waiting for their loved ones to enter the room and see if they were okay.

Finally, a group of patients were led in by a few nurses, and after a moment, (Y/N) recognized a familiar face.

Her mother approached the table, and sat down across from her in silence.

"Hi, Mom," (Y/N) greeted gently. "How... how are you?"

Her mom shook her head. "It's hell in here, baby." Tears welled in her eyes. "They─  They have me under constant surveillance! They check our beds at night every fifteen minutes, and you know I can't sleep like that. I need quiet, I─" She put on a shaky smile. "B-But you can sign me out, right?"

"You know I can't..." (Y/N) knew her mom hated it here, but she couldn't keep going the way things were either. She couldn't let her mom get worse. She couldn't let her die. "I'm not even old enough to sign you out, it's a state decision."

"But you can talk to them, right?" Her mom leaned forward, holding onto her deluded hope.

"Mom..." She felt like crying.

"I─  I'm not like the other patients, okay? They need help, I'm just... a restless soul, right? I'm not crazy, I-I'm not! I'm not like them, I don't need help like that, so I need you to tell the doctors that, okay? They don't listen to me, but they'll listen to you."

"Mom..." Her hands trembled underneath the table. "I really think you should stay." She took a deep breath. "You─  You tried to kill yourself... You need help. I think this place could be really good for you."

Her mom leaned back in her seat, clearly stunned. She shook her head, and exhaled loudly. "Wow..." She muttered, slowly looking back up at her daughter. "You too, huh?"

"Mom──"

"Your father always told me I was crazy, but I thought you knew better than that."

"I don't──!"

"Shut up." Her eyes were darkened, her voice filled with venom. "You betrayed me. I thought you were different, but I guess not." She maintained eye contact, ensuring each of these words stuck. "Listen. I made your father leave for betraying me like that, and I'm not afraid to make you leave too."

(Y/N)'s world started spinning. "What...?"

"I'm done with you. When I'm released," Her mom continued. "I don't want to find you at my house. If I see you there, I'll call the cops."

(Y/N) was too caught up in a revelation to fully process anything else. All these years... She thought her dad abandoned them. Abandoned her. But he didn't. Her mom made him leave. Forced him out of both their lives... and now she was forcing her out as well.

Her mom appeared completely unbothered by (Y/N)'s obvious distress. She turned to a nurse standing nearby, and said, "I'm done here. Take me back to my room, please." Her words were icy, cold and unmoving.

(Y/N) left the hospital. Her hands wouldn't stop shaking.