➢ CHAPTER EIGHT

MONDAY, MARCH 6, 1995

"I don't want you hanging around Evan anymore."

(Y/N) couldn't believe what she was hearing. She'd introduced Lev to some of her friends, and she thought it was going really well. They all seemed to like him. But the second the two of them left, Lev started acting weird and jealous. It wasn't like him. Lev had always been so sweet and caring. She thought they were both secure enough in their relationship that there was no need for jealousy. But apparently she'd been wrong.

"What are you talking about? We're friends, of course I'm gonna hang out with him!"

"He's clearly into you!"

(Y/N) rolled her eyes. "C'mon, really? He's had a crush on Jess for forever. There's no way he's into me."

"Jesus, you're so fucking oblivious," Lev muttered, running a hand through his white-blonde hair. "He's trying to get in your pants. And you just sit there, giving him hugs and ignoring the fact that he's flirting with you right in front of me!"

"Oh, so now I can't give my friends a hug?" She scoffed. "Unbelievable."

"That's not what I──" Lev cut himself off. "(Y/N), just trust me on this. Don't hang out with him anymore."

"You're being ridiculous!"

"Oh, I'm sorry," he retorted sarcastically. "I didn't know not wanting to see some guy flirt with my girlfriend was ridiculous."

"He wasn't flirting! For fuck's sake, Lev, I can't believe you! I'm not gonna stop hanging out with my friend just because you're insecure." (Y/N) rolled her eyes, and began walking away.

"(Y/N), where are you──?"

"Don't talk to me right now!"

•┈┈┈••✦ ♡ ✦••┈┈┈

SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 2, 1996

(Y/N) returned home from work that night to see her apartment in total disarray.

Pillows lay torn in two on the couch, stuffing scattered all around. Pictures and art on the wall were thrown across the floor, many of them cracked or shattered. Most startling of all, however, were the seemingly countless cans of beer covering the floor. And (Y/N) knew her mom didn't drink beer─── she always claimed it tasted like dog piss─── which meant someone else was responsible for the mess.

"Mom...?" She called out, deeply concerned.

No answer.

She began walking through the apartment, down the hall. 'Not in the kitchen...' she thought, before heading down the hall. The door to her mom's room was open. She knocked on the side of it, and walked in slowly.

There, on the floor beside the bed, sat her mom. She was hugging a large bottle of vodka, with a couple more on the floor beside her - most of them empty.

"Mom," she said, stepping closer and kneeling down in front of her. "Are you alright?"

"I'm grand, baby," she slurred. "Havin' the time of my life without that fucker gettin' in my way!"

(Y/N) knew very well that just because her mom said she was good, didn't mean she really was. Between the state of the living room, all the alcohol, and her mom's history... it was just very clear that something was wrong. "What happened?"

"The record label didn't want me... but it's all his fault! They were just playin' hard to get, but Eric mouthed off to the producers, and we got kicked out. Dumb fucker... Ruining my life..." She hiccuped loudly. "We got back today and he wouldn't stop bitching─── so I kicked him out! Don't need him dragging me down! But then he started screaming... We got into a fight─── sorry 'bout that mess, baby, I'll clean it all up. Anyway! I'm better off without him! He never appreciated my creative genius. I don't need him dragging me down!" She paused for a moment. "Mm... gonna puke."

(Y/N) quickly grabbed the trash can kept under the nightstand, and placed it in front of her mom.

"I'm fine, I'm fine..." Her mom lifted the bottle to her mouth, and began drinking some more.

"Mom, I think you've had enough───"

"Don't tell me what to do!" she slurred angrily. "I'm the mom here, not you!"

'You don't really act like it,' (Y/N) thought, but instead she said, "I know, Mom. I just thought──"

"No, I know what you thought," her mom interrupted. "You think I'm some crazy old lady who can't take care of herself." She took a long drink from her vodka. "Just like your bastard of a father..."

(Y/N) flinched. Her dad was always a touchy subject. But she put on a gentle smile, and focused on the task at hand: getting her mom to put the bottle down and go to bed. "C'mon, Mom... If you don't get enough rest, you'll get sick, and you could mess up your beautiful voice." She'd had enough experience by now to know how to tactfully approach her mom.

"Mm... you're right... such a smart girl," the drunken woman slurred. "Guess the apple doesn't fall from the tree!"

"Mhm," (Y/N) hummed, and took the opportunity to take the bottle from her mother. "Alright, let's get you into bed, yeah?" She helped her mom up, watching as she swayed. (Y/N) looped her arm around her mom's unsteady form, and guided her to the bed. Her mom collapsed onto the bed, lying down on her back. "No, no, Mom, on your side, on your side," (Y/N) muttered, shifting the now half-asleep woman around.

"Mm, don't need a man when I have you... Eric's gonna regret leaving me... they'll all regret it..."

(Y/N) pulled the blanket over her, allowing the woman to get more comfortable. She hated seeing her mom this way, all drunk and emotional. No matter how used to it she was, it never seemed to get easier.

"Such a pretty girl... look too much like your dad..."

"Get some sleep, Mom," (Y/N) whispered, forcing herself to smile softly.

Quiet snores emitted from her sleeping form. (Y/N) blinked back tears, and left to go clean up the mess in the living room.