➢ CHAPTER FOURTEEN

FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 8, 1996

"Wow, you really are such a loser," Jess teased.

(Y/N) laughed. "You know you love me."

Jess rolled her eyes. "Whatever," she scoffed playfully. Her face reddened, just a little bit. (Y/N) didn't notice.

The two were at Jess' home, sitting up in her bedroom. They'd ate snacks, watched movies, and laughed the whole time. (Y/N) still hadn't been home yet, and she welcomed the distraction from her whole situation. Still... thoughts of her mom screaming in her face, calling her a burden──  it all flashed in her mind. But she was doing her best to just focus on enjoying the day with Jess. It'd been a while since she had hung out with her best friend, especially one-on-one.

(Y/N) picked up another chip, and plopped it in her mouth. "How was the dinner last night, by the way?"

"Eww." Jess scrunched up her nose in distaste. "Don't talk with food in your mouth. It's gross." She shook her head.

"Whatever." Rolling her eyes, (Y/N) finished chewing, before repeating her question, "How was it, though?"

Jess shrugged. "It was fine, I guess." She sighed. "I don't know, I don't really like when we have my dad's coworkers over. My mom always gets so annoying──" She made her voice higher-pitched to mock her mom. "Sit up straight, Jessica. Smile, Jessica. Don't be so awkward, Jessica."

"Don't talk with your mouth full, Jessica."

Jess playfully hit her shoulder "I hate you," she joked. She leaned back on her hands, and sighed. "I don't know, it was just annoying."

As much as (Y/N) hated it, she envied Jess. She didn't mean to diminish her friend's problems, but... she would kill to have the biggest complaint in her life to be that her mom wanted her to sit up straight. It was an awful thought. And (Y/N) hated feeling this way. But it was undeniable. She was jealous.

But she would do her best to ignore the feeling and be supportive.

"Yeah," she said. "That does sound annoying."

Jess glanced over, dark eyes falling on (Y/N) for a moment. "Are you okay?" She asked. "You sound... off."

(Y/N) shouldn't have been surprised Jess noticed. They'd best friends for what? Eight years now? Nine? Jess probably knew her better than anyone. But even with that...

"You've been a burden to me since day one."

Her mom's words echoed in her mind. Being a burden was the one thing she'd avoided her whole life. To have her own mother call her that... She didn't want it to be true. She'd do anything to prove her wrong. (Y/N) couldn't be a burden. She wouldn't. So she smiled, shook her head. "Yeah, I'm good," came the lie, much easier than it should've been. "Probably just tired or something." Practice makes perfect, right?

Jess nodded, seemingly buying it.

Wanting to change the subject──  anything to keep Jess from seeing past her lies──  (Y/N) cleared her throat. "Hey, have you heard from Tony at all?" It was something that had been in the back of her mind. He hadn't been at school in at least a few days. She was starting to get worried, but maybe Jess knew something...?

"Nope," her friend answered. "We pretty much only talk when you're around. Why do you ask?"

"I haven't heard from him either. It's been, like... three days, I think. Maybe four."

"Maybe he's sick?" Jess offered.

(Y/N) shrugged. "I don't know."

"I'm sure he's fine," her friend assursd her. "I mean, for all we know, he's just skipping school to read comics in his room all day." She smiled softly. "I wouldn't worry about it. Really."

"Yeah," (Y/N) sighed. "Yeah, you're probably right."

"I'm always right."

"Hey, that's my line!"

Laughter filled the room, and the matter with Tony was soon forgotten.

•┈┈┈••✦ ♡ ✦••┈┈┈•

SATURDAY, MARCH 25, 1995

Lev's bedroom was lit only by candles, and the moonlight peeking in through the blinds. In the dark, two intertwined bodies could barely be made out. (Y/N) was spending the night, and Lev's mom was out of town, leaving the two hormonal teenagers alone for the night.

It's easy to assume what happened.

After, Lev's arm wrapped around her form, and held her close. He smiled down at her, red eyes loving and sweet.

(Y/N) looked up at him, a smile coming onto her own face. "I love you," she mumbled.

"I love you more," Lev replied.

"God, you're so cheesy."

"Well it's true," he said. "I love you more than you could possibly imagine. Forever and always."

"Forever and always," (Y/N) repeated softly. "I like that."

"Good," he muttered, shifting to pull her closer. "Because it's true. I've always known you would be it for me. No one makes me feel the way you do. They don't even come close."

"Are you always this sappy after sex?" She teased.

"Whatever," he chuckled softly, before leaning down to plant a kiss on her forehead. "You love me."

"I do."