➢ CHAPTER TWO

THURSDAY, OCTOBER 24, 1996

"Would you just get back together already? C'mon, you're miserable."

Sitting beside (Y/N) was her best friend, Jess. To (Y/N), Jess was the prettiest girl she'd ever seen. Dark skin, long black curls, and the biggest brown eyes you've ever seen. She was gorgeous. And she always had an opinion───  one that she never failed to share with others, especially (Y/N). In this case, the opinion was about (Y/N) and Lev. Jess had expressed multiple times that she thought they should get back together. She always claimed they must've been soulmates.

But (Y/N) didn't believe in soulmates.

"Not happening," she replied. "We're over for good this time."

"What was your fight even about?" Jess sounded exasperated by this point, and (Y/N) couldn't really blame her. She must've looked so unreasonable to everybody. But she had her reasons.

"Hey, do you think we could study at your place tonight?" (Y/N) asked.

Jess rolled her eyes. "Don't try to change the subject."

"C'mon, we have that Economics test tomorrow, and I don't know shit about any of it," (Y/N) said. She gave a hopeful smile. "Please, Jess. I'll buy you those thin mints you love."

"Oh, like you can bribe me with Girl Scout cookies."

"Well?"

"...Fine."

(Y/N) grinned. "Awesome! I'll be over at 4."

"Yeah, yeah, whatever." There was, however, a distinct look of fondness in Jess' dark eyes, that negated the effect of her words.

Jess and (Y/N) had been friends since the 3rd grade. They'd always been close, in spite of Jess' rough around the edges personality and (Y/N)'s evasiveness. (Y/N) got to see a softer side of Jess. Although her words brushed her off, Jess' care for her friend - best friend - was obvious. Some even joked that they were a couple, but (Y/N) knew Jess didn't see her like that. Besides, (Y/N) had been dating Lev since sophomore year.

But that was over now, (Y/N) reminded herself. It's over for good.

Still, in spite of herself, she found herself staring across the cafeteria, towards Lev. He met eyes with her, and she looked away quickly.

She didn't notice the smile on his face as he continued to stare in her direction.

•┈┈┈••✦ ♡ ✦••┈┈┈•

FRIDAY, DECEMBER 9, 1994

"This movie is so dumb!"

Laughter filled the dark living room, lit only by the TV screen. As promised, Lev had built the two of them a cosy little pillow fort for their date. There was no cohesive theme, really. Just random pillows and blankets from all over the house. But it felt comfortable and warm. In the middle of the fort sat Lev and (Y/N). Most of his first-date-anxieties had melted away by this point, replaced by a warmth in his chest that he could only describe as a strong affection for the laughing girl. They were on their second horror movie, and this one was even more cheesy than the first.

"Yeah," (Y/N) replied, like what he'd said had been obvious. "That's what makes it fun!"

"So you don't like actually scary horror movies?"

She shrugged. "They're alright. I just didn't grow up on them like I did these." She popped a piece of popcorn in her mouth.

"Wait, you grew up on these R-rated horror movies? My mom would've never let me watch those!"

(Y/N) laughed it off, but she looked... uncomfortable, somehow.

Confused, but wanting to get that look off her face, Lev changed the subject. "Hey, don't hog all the popcorn," he laughed. "Save some for me!" He took the bowl from her lap, and placed it in his own.

(Y/N) put on a mock-offended look, placing a hand over her chest. "I can't believe you! Popcorn thief!"

"What?! This is my house, so it's my popcorn!"

"Exactly, I'm the guest, so you should share it with me."

Lev playfully scoffed. "Yeah, take your own advice."

"Whatever," (Y/N) rolled her eyes. But there was a hint of a smile beginning to curve her pink lips.

It was then that a girl on-screen screamed, drawing the pair's attention back to the TV. Fake blood splattered, as the girl died at the hands of the masked killer. (Y/N) snickered.

"Y'know, some people would think you're crazy for laughing at scenes like this," Lev commented.

"Ah, well, they might have a point."

He shook his head in amusement. As she stared at the TV screen and stuffed popcorn into her mouth, Lev watched with a smile. This girl was truly something special. She made him feel... well, he couldn't quite describe how she made him feel. But he didn't want it to stop.

(Y/N) must've felt his gaze, because she turned to face him with a quizzical look in her (E/C) eyes.

Feeling his face heat up, Lev looked towards the TV quickly. His blush only deepened when he heard her chuckle softly. He glanced over, and saw that it was now her staring at him, rather than the other way around. When they met eyes, Lev felt his heart pound in his chest. He thought about kissing her; his gaze flickered down to her lips... but he chickened out, and grabbed a handful of popcorn instead.

He never saw the disappointed look on her face.