Cold Flame

3rd Person POV

In an interrogation room, Henry Douglas stares down at Maria, clearly displaying his disdain for his subordinate.

As the two stare at each other, Henry pulls out a bag and out of it falls a used bullet.

Henry: This is the bullet that killed Brigadier General Hughes. It's a forty-five caliber. The killer used only this one bullet. I'd say they were a good shot but it was point-blank range. Close enough that even a poor shot could do it. Now tell me, what is the caliber of gun that you carry?

Maria: It's a... A forty-five, sir.

Henry: (Grabs a paper) Here we have a copy of your requisition form for additional ammunition. Does this look correct?

Maria nods in agreement. Knowing that if she lied, it would only make her punishment worse than what she was already being wrongly accused of.

Henry: It says here you fired exactly one round. What was that round used for?

Maria: It's exactly as it's written on the paper. I fired my weapon in defense of Edward Elric while in the Fifth Laboratory.

Flashbacks of the night in the Fifth Laboratory replays through Maria's head, including how she fired that one shot. It was to protect Edward from Barry when he and Alphonse first infiltrated thr Fifth Laboratory.

Henry: (Taps Maria's bullet) But the Fifth Laboratory is no longer operational. It remains unmanned.

Maria: It was definitely not unmanned.

Henry: Sure... According to your account. Shall I send someone to search for this bullet you supposedly fired?

Maria: There was an unexplained explosion at the site. The Fifth Laboratory is now just a pile of rubble.

Henry: (Suspicious) So the place where you claimed you used your gun was unmanned, and if we looked for the bullet, we'd find a pile if rubble. Is that what you're saying?

Maria stays silent, knowing how far-fetched her story is, the fact that her evidence is based on a story about a supposedly abandoned laboratory and then that said abandoned laboratory suddenly blows up? It's completely absurd to the outside eye.

Henry: But, Lieutenant we have eyewitness testimony. You were spotted on the scene on the day of the murder, at the very same time.

Maria: That's impossible!

Henry: Calm down, Lieutenant. Fine then, so what were you doing at that time?

Maria: I had the day off, so I was at my parent's house visiting. Please check with them, they'll tell you.

This was the only testimony that Maria could offer, her own family. The people most viable to defend her... Not exactly the most trustworthy source of testimony.

Henry: All you can offer us is your family's testimony? That is not admissible as an alibi! Especially when your superior also saw you on the scene!

Maria: What! But who? No one was around!

Henry: Oh really... Well then, explain this testimony...

Henry reaches over to his partner, who hands him a paper with a written testimony from someone Maria didn't expect...

Henry: "I saw Second Lieutenant Maria Ross leave the archives room and witnessed her shoot Brigadier General Maes Hughes in cold blood. It was her, I know it." This was written testimony by Lieutenant Colonel (L/n). He claims he saw you, and you know that he's got very good eyes. And that he's not one to lie. So... What were you saying, about being at your parent's house?