Chapter 30

A/N I'm back! Just finished the first season out for my other story check it out! I decided to make some changes one of them being they're was a time skip so this is one month after the crash. Mel and Mark are together. I was to lazy to write it out but I will do like a mini flashback so look forward to that!

I blinked my eyes open as sun shot through the blinds into my room, glaring across the white and grey walls. I groaned and rolled over, covering my face with a pillow as i slammed the alarm clock off. A vicious cough ripped through me and I winced, my chest contracting and sharp pains running through my head. It was my own fault really, i had gotten off work a little earlier than usual and decided to go for a walk while it was still light out. My downfall really was when I had decided against bringing a coat, instead trusting the stupid jumper I was wearing to keep me warm. The weather had looked nice enough to begin with but after 20 minutes the sky had decided to chuck buckets of water down on me and I was drenched, resulting in the now painful cold I had given myself.

I opened my eyes again and looked at the clock, trying to turn the minutes back to give me more sleep. When this failed, I rolled out of my fluffy, lucious cloud of a bed and walked to the bathroom, hoping a warm shower would wake me up and heal my blocked sinuses. I rubbed my eyes as I stepped into the tiled room, looking at the mirror. My reflection wasn't too bad although I could see my eyes were a little puffy and my nose was sporting a tinge of flaring red. Sighing, I turned the shower on and undressed, pulling my hair up into a bun and stepping into the relaxing steamy fumes.

When I had finished getting ready and had grabbed a breakfast bar that would end up ignored in my locker, I trudged out the door, locking it behind me and starting the 10 minute walk to the hospital. I really hoped I would have time to grab some medicine before rounds but I doubted it, seeing as I had spent way too long dying in the shower. A strong breeze ripped past me and I shuddered, pulling my coat closer to me and trying to hold down the scratching cough at the back of my throat.

I soon arrived at the hospital doors and gladly went inside, thankful for the shelter against the weather. I walked slowly to the board. "You look like crap." Meredith said as I stripped off my jacket and jumper, pulling my scrubs over the long sleeved shirt I thankfully wore. "Why thank you for your input that I did not need at all." I say smiling. I started to head to an on call room while Meredith followed. "Did you hear?" She asked. "Hear about what?"

"Cristina and Burke." She says. "No way I don't believe it."

"I'm not lying I'm very serious and they are very serious. Like really serious beyond serious."

"Ok I get it they're serious good for them." I say. "No bad for them very bad."

"Why is it bad?"

"Did you see how my relationship turned out I mean Derek-" I cut her off with a cough. "Meredith I have to go I have to make my rounds and I have a surgery in 4 hours." I say moving to leave the room. And I'm pretty sure Burkes not married." I say leaving her dumbfounded. I shut my eyes, trying to block out the dull pain in my head leaning against the door.

I stayed like that for a few minutes until I felt Meredith nudge me, "Come on don't want the interns slacking off." I nodded and groaned, standing up. We walked side by side until we reached the nurse's station and she went off to torment Cristina. I gathered the folders with patient info and dragged myself over to my 4 interns who stared at me. "What are you waiting for?" I said harshly and they scampered, heading off to the first patient's room as I followed behind. I wasn't usually that harsh with the interns but I was strict and they behaved well, eager to learn. I tried my best to educate them but sometimes they really got on my nerves.

Once we made our way into the first patient's room, the interns lined up by the door while I walked to the bed. "Goodmorning Mr Davis, how are you doing today?" I asked softly, trying to hide my running nose. "Alright, hurts a little but it's getting better." I nodded and looked over to one of my interns, "Judkins?" At once the intern started pratlling on about Mr Davis' case and I nodded along, half listening to him, half trying not to close my eyes. He stopped talking fairly quickly and I nodded, "well done, we need hourly checkups on Mr Davis' vitals for the next few days but you should be ready to go home in a few days." I directed the last part at the patient who nodded and smiled.