Christianity Blooper!

Here is a "blooper" that I have experienced.

Have you ever read those stories about missionaries who were really discouraged and at the end of their rope, and something just made them want to open their Bibles and voila! The first verse their eyes landed on SPOKE to them, and they were encouraged again.

So here is the blooper: Don't look for messages from God.

Just read your Bible! Don't open it up to random pages over and over again, looking for a message. Doing this can end up with humorous results that are not so funny when you are crying on the floor.

*Opens Bible.*

"I will laugh at your calamity..." I sigh and blink. Is this what God is telling me? Of course not. Context, context.

*Tries again.*

"A double-minded man is unstable in all his ways." I wince. Ouch. Well that's not very encouraging. Oh, look. Context again. Context, context.

*Opens Bible randomly again.*

"Thou shalt not murder." My eyes pop open. I wasn't thinking about murder! But now I am! Murder, murder, ahhhhh!!!

*Closes and opens Bible one last time.* I reeeaaallly need a message from God right now!

"Your teeth are like a flock of sheep..." I cover my face in my hands and start crying. And laughing. At the same time.

I did make most of this scenario up, but things like this have happened to me. My friend talked to me about this, and I tried it right then, and as expected it didn't work. I thought it was funny that it is a more common Christian blooper than I thought.

You can't make God talk to you. He will talk to you if He sees fit. And He will probably not talk to you using street signs or visions or a booming voice coming from the sky. Don't go there. We don't need that anymore! We have the Bible! And we have to be careful not to use it in the wrong way.