CH 9.2 Slumber Party

By the time the bag of fluid was empty, Kira's shivering slowed and her eyes closed. Alex hoped it was in sleep and not in death. Gabe and Raba were preparing the fish while Cale had gone for the healer.

Rile hung back, keeping guard. He prowled about, looking as furious as Alex felt behind her calm self. The calm Alex told Rofe, the healer, all that happened and what she had done. When he touched Kira, her eyes opened. They were clearer than before, but still full of fear.

"That's the head healer, Kira." Alex rubbed glowing hands on Kira's arms. "Raba and I are here."

Rofe was most interested in the fluid. Alex wished she had brought a larger supply. She told him the principles of calcium treatment, both the IV she was using and the fish that Cale was preparing. Rofe nodded thoughtfully.

"The danger is past if she has stopped shivering and is coherent. Thank you, Guardian," Rofe said.

Alex gave a terse nod and then her calm persona faded away. Now fury was building. Once Raba fed Kira the fish paste, Alex walked over to Rile.

"Do you want to join me in killing Flint?" she asked.

"Alex, remember what the Portal Guardian said."

"You asked to not be shut out of my psychosis. I am in no way rational and fully intend to ask forgiveness rather than permission about executing Flint. Are you coming or not?"

Rile patted his sword's hilt. "Wouldn't miss it."

"Alex, Rile, stop."

They slid each other frustrated glances at Gabe's voice.

"Consider that there are worse things you can do to Flint than killing him. Plus we won't have to worry about clan warfare. Understand?" Gabe said in an even tone.

"You are the best Clan Head ever," Alex said with fervent sincerity before flying off with Rile. "You up to a visit with Drake?"

"No, but go ahead. Think he'll know where Flint is?" Rile asked.

"He'll know better than anybody."

They returned to the hatching grounds before sunset. Kira was sleeping curled around her clutch.

"Well?" Gabe surveyed their grim expressions.

"Drake told us what he knew, but Flint had fled by the time we got there. How is Kira?"

"Doing better than expected. Tomorrow she'll start interviewing potential parents. She asked that you be there," Gabe said.

"Me?" Alex said in surprise. "But my presence will cause trouble. Please explain that to her."

Gabe crossed his arms over his chest. "I most certainly will not. She was very emphatic and I want to honor her wishes. I hope you do, too."

"Are we camping here tonight?" Rile gazed over the grounds. "I want to keep constant watches out tonight. Flint has far too many friends."

"You're right. But we can't leave Dola and the girls unguarded in the Mercy Tent. There's only one Alex. Both Dola and Raba will need her for a chaperone," Gabe said.

"Slumber party." Alex perked up. At their confusion she explained, "We'll bring Dola and the girls here. Let's set up a campfire, make some treats, and tell stories. It'll be fun and keep everyone under guard."