CH 22 The End

A week later, Rile and Alex exited the portal flying. They looked down at the familiar landscape of Olam.

The campsite was dotted with trees were alive with dancers and people milling about. The green grass had been burnt away by bonfires that would burn for a full month. They had to be carefully tended or they'd put too much smoke into the air. The ground was hard and dry, it's usual semi-arid state. The wind had blown all the rain away. But the wind also stirred the smoke from the fires and after long enough it would rain. The air smelled of roses and lilacs, of freshly washed linens, of cinnamon and baked bread.

There was a crowd of Agama around three white-robed figures.

"It's a uniting ceremony!" Alex squealed and immediately regretted sounding like a schoolgirl. She said in a more normal tone, "Let's see who it is. It must be a friend or the Portal Guardian wouldn't have brought us here."

"Uh, sure," Rile said but he gripped his sword hilt.

"It's Kira!" Alex squealed again but didn't regret it this time.

She swooped to the back of the crowd, but Kira saw her and waved furiously. Dola and Raba almost dragged Alex up to the front and put her in line with the other attendants. Rile joined Cale and Gabe in the crowd. Kira came over and hugged her. Only after that did Alex dare look at the groom, who seemed perfectly content.

What a relief.

"An honor, Guardian," he said politely.

"And a pleasure," the priest Kohe added.

Alex was confused. Wasn't Clan Head Gaza supposed to officiate the uniting ceremony? Then she remembered what he had said about destroying Kira's clutch.

Bastard.

"Sorry to interrupt," Alex whispered.

"Don't apologize. All you must do is stand there." Kira smiled warmly.

Alex smiled back. "Still giving me lessons in calmness? Too bad I still need them."

The ceremony resumed. Alex tried not to fidget during the boring ritual and zoned out mentally until it was over. Then they were surrounded by happy revelers who offered their congratulations and hugs. The air was thick with the scent of cinnamon and flowers and fresh bread. Dola and Raba pushed through to her.

Dola hugged Alex and gave her a quick squeeze. "Off to the feast, my dear. It should be a lively one." Alex returned the hug, and they walked deeper into the party.

Rile appeared at her elbow. "So, how do you feel?"

"A little awkward as an outsider, but so glad to be here," Alex said with a smile.

Alex was happier after being reunited with Rile and stayed close to him. The feast began with everyone feasting on roasted meats, vegetables fresh from their gardens, breads baked in outdoor ovens, fruits ripening in their orchards, freshly made cheeses and wines produced by the grape growers.

Gabe sought out the groom and they spoke easily, like friends. Alex realized that Gabe must have sifted through all prospects for Kira and approved of this one.

The girls from the Mercy Tent engulfed her in a swarm and she could only make out about half of what they said, they kept squealing and giggling. Rile didn't look like he understood much more than she did. Their every touch was light, a delicate caress of her hair or a brief squeeze of her hand. Their youthful laughter was bright and enchanting.

Several female Agama came over to talk with her, much to Alex's surprise. Apparently they were helpers at the Mercy Tent, recruited by the priest. The women are lovely and graceful, with a vivacious charm. The glow of health and vigor made their movements enchanting. Alex was glad when Gabe came over and he was handsome in his formal attire. These would be good prospects for him to select a mate from.

Not that I'll tell him that.

The campfire danced in the night and shadows danced with it, laughing and throwing balls of flame into the air. The sensations of warmth and safety next to Rile, the people around her and the low thrumming of their happy talk and laughter drifted through her mind, calming her. The air was pungent with the scent of wood smoke and food cooking.

The groom, Oren, and Kira walked up to Alex and Rile. Their snow white robes were heavily embroidered with green leaves and flowers of yellow and red. Both their expressions were that of glowing joy.

"I came to thank you before we retired," Oren said to Alex.

"Uh, okay." Alex shrugged. "I didn't do anything except stand there and be nervous."

"No, for rescuing Kira. She's the light of my life." He gazed at his new bride with utter adoration. "She's beautiful, kind, and brilliant. I am so happy and brilliant she agreed to be my united one."

"Kira is wonderful." Alex was happy to deflect praise onto someone else. "I'm glad you're smart enough to realize that. "I wish both of you a life filled with happiness."

Kira hugged her before she and her groom walked off, arms around each other's waists.

"I love happy endings," Alex sighed and Rile engulfed her in a hug.

THE END...FOR NOW

***

A/N

Many thanks for those who read to the end! Wattpad won't let me list you all but I'll try

IanReeve216

Cocosghost

Jessica2985

Angel_Eyes1514

KaleWhaleHannah