CH. 21.1 Prayer Vigil

Cale returned later, his boots thudding in the dirt, alerting his brothers. The camp sounds were all still there, the crackle of the fire, the wind in the trees. The birds were silent, but that was normal for sunset. The sounds of the night were only starting to be heard, but that was expected.

Alex had her head in Rile's lap and he stroked her hair while she dozed. Gabe, true to his word, was sharpening his sword. Drake was drinking and staring off in space.

"What's the plan?" Rile asked, rousing Alex.

"A prayer vigil tonight."

Alex sat up, rolled her head back, looked at the sky, and groaned. "Sleep deprivation is among the worst tortures I can think of and you want to try it? I think you are The Adversary, Cale."

Cale chuckled. "You may sleep, as may Rile. I'm enlisting the help of Kohe and his acolytes. We're singing hymns and praying through the night watches."

Alex sagged against Rile. "Oh, well, if I get to sleep, that's okay."

"I want to take part," Drake said.

"What do you know of singing hymns?" Gabe asked, his grip on his sword changing to a fighting one.

"Or praying?" Rile sneered.

Alex elbowed him so sharply that he oof'd. "Y'all are mean," she said. "Drake did his best to pray during my short circuit."

"That's probably what called The Adversary," Gabe said. He ducked and narrowly missed the blast Alex hurled at him.

"Do I have to call you out?" She stood, rotated her head, rolled her shoulders, and shook out her hands.

"Part of me wants to say to not do this, but part of me is intensely curious." Drake lifted one eye-ridge and grinned.

"No part of you was asked," Alex said. "This isn't your burden, it's mine. Gabe, my powers and staff against your skills and staff?" Alex bounced lightly on the balls of her feet. "Until one of us can't stand?"

Gabe stood, looked her up and down, and then picked up his staff. "I win and Drake leaves. Permanently."

Alex shook her head. "You win and he won't come around y'all but I'm still training him. He's still my friend and I still believe he can become a Guardian. You'll only have forced me to be alone with him."

Rile jumped to his feet. "I object. Let's do this Cale's way. If Drake wants to sing and pray with Kohe and his acolytes, so be it. I'm sleeping with Alex, so I'm the winner here."

"Absolutely," Drake said in a flat voice.

"Drake, come with me," Cale said. "I'll introduce you to Kohe. Grab that wineskin, please."

**

"Who is bringing us wine?" Kohe extended his hands. "Blessings upon you."

"If you're blessing me, then you don't know who I am." Drake crammed his hands into his pockets and ducked his head.

Kohe smiled his gentle, understanding smile. "Quite the contrary. I was being polite in asking. Please come inside and make yourself comfortable, Drake."

Kohe pushed the best cushion toward Drake, who side-stepped it and sat upon another. Kohe looked at Cale in question but he shrugged. Drake unslung the wineskin and offered it to the priest. He took it, poured three mugs, and distributed them.

"Why are you here, my son?" Kohe asked as he handed Drake a mug.

"I want to take part in the prayer vigil for Alex tonight. I don't know any hymns and Gabe is of the opinion that my prayer for Alex called The Adversary."