CH 18.2 Dr. Pushy Dragon

Alex grabbed Gabe's hand, sped, grabbed Rile's, and headed for Cale and Drake. Cale held up a hand and Drake copied him. Alex snatched them up and they vanished in a speed-burst.

They flew straight for some distance and then she set them down outside the InterSpec embassy. The embassy was a large, imposing building made of red and grey stone. It towered above them, casting a long shadow over the street. The doors were made of heavy wood and carved with intricate designs. There were new windows of stained glass and depicted scenes from different cultures. Alex set them down on the flagstone entry.

"What were you thinking walking into an ambush?" Gabe raged. "Where are you hurt? Show Cale your wounds. This shows what a disaster you are without your team, Alex."

She grinned up at him, but her grin was wide, predatory. She'd won this battle, even if it was just a skirmish. "I missed you too. Let's go inside. I have the largest guest quarters. Unless you prefer making a scene out here." She indicated the audience of staring reptiles of various species on the street. Their eyes were wide and their mouths were open, showing their sharp teeth.

"Inside." Gabe stalked toward the two story doors.

"Males," Alex said, hands on her hips as she watched him. "Can't say they miss you, just like they can't say they're sorry."

"I missed you," Rile said. He sounded sincere, and his eyes met hers.

"I missed you," Cale said. He also sounded like he meant it.

"Make me a liar." Alex said, her voice softening. She rolled her eyes upward, to the sky.

"You're not a liar," Drake said. "They wouldn't have said they missed you until you called them out. They should be very sorry, too."

Razz burst out the front doors, almost hitting Gabe. "Alex, what happened? Your arm is bleeding badly. There are medical supplies in your quarters." He then added in a cold tone, "I see your former teammates have arrived."

"What do you mean, former?" Gabe snapped.

"I mean, not on this mission," Razz said, unbowed.

"Don't you yell at Razz." Alex shook her finger in Gabe's face. Her eyes flashed with anger and her voice was tight. "He's just trying to help."

Cale pinched his muzzle between his eyes. "Please, let's take care of Alex."

"I will take care of the Guardian since her former teammates are abysmal at it," Razz said, voice laced with venom.

"I am not," Rile huffed, his red-gold color deepening.

Drake made calming motions with his hands, his voice low and soothing. "Please let's stop the arguing and pettiness and continue to our room so Alex may receive medical care."

"You share a room with Alex?" Rile frowned and his eye-ridges drew together.

"We all share a room. The usual," Alex said. "You should recall."

Alex flopped on the middle of the bed, eyes closed, lips taut, her forehead lined with pain despite her banter. The clothing on her shoulder was soaked with blood and she was breathing shallowly. Kress, Trac, and Lok entered the bedroom, bearing medical supplies which smelled of antiseptic. Cale sat on the bed next to Alex.

"Back to the group bed, I see." Gabe's voice was like a knife, cold and sharp. It cut through the air and sliced into Alex's skin.

Alex opened her eyes, anger overcoming her pain. "Gabe honey bun," Alex said in her exaggerated Southern accent, "If you continue, I'm gonna whip your sweet leathery butt into a purse, bless your heart."