CH. 11.1- Doing What Needs To Be Done

Rosy-fingered dawn was stretching over the horizon when Alex's voice roused the brothers. A first.

"Will you ask Rake or not? I know Mr. Bitterness himself is awake before dawn for classes." That had always burned Alex, probably as much as Rake's attitude. "If he says no, let me talk with him." Alex delivered the last sentence with a burning gaze and voice full of threat.

"That won't be necessary. Rake may be bitter, but he knows what's right," Cale assured her. "Give me a chance."

Alex trailed Cale to the sword fighting ring. She watched Cale stop and talk with Rake. Both men were silent at first, but gradually, Cale's shoulders lifted and his rigid posture relaxed. Alex couldn't hear what he was saying, but as he walked toward her, Cale looked over his shoulder at his students and gestured toward them. Rake raised one eye-ridge, shrugged and turned to his students. They didn't appear happy about whatever it was that Rake was saying to them, but most of the group raised their hands and stepped forward. Cale nodded in approval and turned to walk away.

Dola and Raba were told that they were receiving new residents coming to the Mercy Tent tonight. Ture was put on alert that the Mercy Tent would be especially vulnerable for the next few weeks. Payback could be hell and no one was sure if Flint would target the Guardians or the Mercy Tent or both.

Cale talked to the priest, Kohe, who found some females willing to help and counsel, above the usual chaperone duties. Cale also introduced Alex to the new girls and then walked back to their tent when Rile caught up with him.

Rile explained, "Over the past few days Alex has been restless, trying to push herself into a regiment of training that far exceeded anyone else's. She should be bursting with her usual impatience, waiting for the raid on Flint's latest child prostitution location. But I can't find her."

Cale replied, "I introduced her to the new girls, hoping it would mollify her and keep her busy. Try there."

But when Rile checked the Mercy Tent, Alex had gone. He eventually found her sitting on Cale's favorite ledge, head bowed.

"What's wrong?" Rile asked, surprised.

"You don't usually ask obvious questions like that."

"Okay, I'll play along. Why are you sitting up here instead of storming around the camp, making demands and generally being irritating with your impatience?"

Alex looked up at him. "I deserved that. I don't think I can do what needs to be done."

Rile's eye-ridges raised higher in surprise. "You're kidding, right? I expect you to tear the place apart and leave none standing."

"That's exactly right. I can't keep from killing Flint." Alex's expression was tight and raw, her eyes brimmed with tears.

"You're assuming you can get to him first." Rile gripped her shoulder. "I can almost smell the blood in the air and hear your heart break."

"But you can't kill him either. You know the rules," Alex said with reluctance.

"Then we better hope Gabe or Cale finds him first, otherwise one of us will be begging for major forgiveness rather than permission. Let's go back to camp."

Alex flew them back and they found Rake was discussing strategy with Gabe. Then the priest ran up to Gabe, looking very distressed.

"Ture wants you at the Mercy Tent, Guardian. It's serious."

Alex beat them all there using a speed-burst. She didn't even offer to fly them: she intended to be first. Raba flagged her down and Alex figured Dola was inside the tent, based on the sounds of sobbing girls drifting out.