CH. 15.3 We Speak Nicely...

Rile left Alex sleeping to join Cale and Gabe at dawn rites. A pleasant scent of leaves, grass, and dew soaking into the ground was carried on a slight dawn wind which also rustled the leaves and grass. Cale and the priest faced east and waited, as quietly as possible, until the first bit of sunlight touched their faces in a moment of beauty Rile couldn't quite describe. It transformed the rites Rile usually hated to attend.

Once the priest and the few attendees left, Rile paced and waved his hands at Cale. "You had your re-naming and purification ceremony with Baca, I mean Gaala. Now work your priestly mojo on Alex. Break this whole psychotic 'Drake's redemption is mine' bit."

Gabe sighed and sat down on a nearby log. He pulled out a cloth and began polishing his sword. The steel glittered in the morning light.

Cale rubbed his temples. "I don't have priestly 'mojo' as you call it. If anything, Alex is working it on me. I can't counter her assertions about redemption. Drake has done everything I've asked."

"He's not sincere," Rile exclaimed and threw his hands up.

"The Creator of All judges motives," Cale said. "We can only judge behavior. Drake has followed everything I've outlined."

"Then fill in the outline and demand he follow all the details," Rile said.

"I can hardly ask him to do more than we do," Cale replied. "Don't ask me to practice hypocrisy. Not only is it wrong, Alex would sniff it a mile away."

"Then what are you going to do?" Rile demanded.

"What you should do: pray for a portal."

Gabe sighted down the blade of his sword. "A mission away might clear Alex's mind."

"She's at her best in action," Rile said. "Her thinking becomes twisted and sad when she sits around."

"Then we'll go hunting while we wait for a mission." Gabe placed his sword in his scabbard.

"She'll want Drake to go," Rile said with resignation.

Gabe shot him a sly look. "Perhaps an arrow could go astray."

"Gabe," Cale said, warning deep in his voice.

Gabe held up his hands in surrender. "Not planning it, making an observation. A stray arrow can't be helped."

"Remember what I said about the Creator of All judging our motives," Cale said.

"I'm going back to the tent with Alex," Rile said. "I don't want her waking up alone."

"Time for breakfast. You two go ahead and start the tea and I'll fetch some sausage rolls and sweet bread," Gabe said.

Once breakfast was but a memory, Gabe asked Rile to accompany him for supplies, although Alex worried it was to plot against Drake. Then Cale asked her to help repair some of the blankets for their bedrolls.

"You do know every feminist on my home planet is turning over in her grave that you asked me to sew."

"Will they turn over since I'm helping you?" He smiled gently at her.

She smiled back. "Naw, they're at rest now."

He retrieved a basket from the tent. "I have a new sewing kit."

Alex was peering at the needle and trying to thread it when a shadow fell across her.

"Look at you, some Guardian, dirt poor and scrabbling for a living."

Alex looked up with curiosity at the hissing Agama. He was well-dressed in fine leather. The Agama's eyes were large, set on a long snout that looked like serpent and his teeth were dry and yellow. On his left hand he wore a golden ring, and his long fingers were curled into talons.