CH 19.2 Dance Party!!

The party was in the InterSpec ballroom, a huge area with a polished stone floor, rock walls with fireplaces inset in two of them, a large bar against a third, and a raised stage for the band against the fourth.

The party had elaborate centerpieces, arches with flowers and thornless roses that were visible from the entrance and the dance floor itself. Short sconces with wax candles were hung throughout. The bands setup was a massive affair, with a conductor directing the musicians on a raised platform, the musicians themselves all dressed in immaculate white with red sashes, and in the audience, the party's guests intermingled, with Lok being greeted effusively by everyone. A heady mixture of perfume, alcohol, and food mixed with the music and attendees. Alex spoke with the bandleader, a cheerful Bearded Dragon with a cute grin.

Zilik was to make an entrance later. Four female Anolis warriors entered the room, two by two. They marched in step with one another, their eyes straight ahead. The Anolis were tall with tough, corded muscles. Their bodies were covered in scales of a dark green and their breastplates were etched with intricate designs. They cast Alex a withering look, who smiled wickedly in return. Their black eyes were cold and hard, like chips of ice. Their mouths were set in a thin line. Their posture was rigid and unyielding. Their movements were precise and fluid, like a well-oiled machine. Every muscle in their bodies was taut, coiled and ready to strike. They were a force to be reckoned with, and Alex knew it.

"You are my prey," Alex said under her breath.

"Excuse me?" the bandleader asked and politely leaned forward to hear her.

"Just my pre-battle warm-up talk to those Anolis females." Alex could see the disgust in their eyes, and it only made her smile widen. She knew she was not welcome by them, but she didn't care, in fact, she was counting on it. She would enjoy making these warriors squirm.

He looked over to the Anolis and grinned ruefully. "How many songs will my band be able to play before there is a fight?"

"I vote for after all my favorite group dances," Alex said. "But I'm always happy to duel an Anolis female whenever and wherever."

"I'll play your favorites first," the bandleader said and turned back to his musicians. "After a warm-up song or two."

Alex sought out Rile to start the dancing.

"My best partner first," she said as she led him onto the floor. The music was fast and upbeat, and the other couples were already spinning and twirling around the room. "Who knows how many dances we'll have before the main event. Look at those four. Too cowardly to bring any of their males. Too bad I'll challenge them anyway."

"I thought the point of this party was information gathering." Rile swept her in a circle. "Not duels." He dipped her and grinned.

She kissed him quickly before he pulled her upright and against him. "On this world, dueling Anolis females is always the point. I have to have some fun in life."

His hand rested on the small of her back, and his other hand clasped hers. She felt the muscles in his arm flex as he danced her around the room.

Rile waltzed her backwards. "This isn't fun?"

"Of course it is. There are all types of fun. I hope to have several types here." Alex kissed his neck and he laughed and she felt a hunger for him.

The music changed to a group dance and Alex waved for her friends to join her on the dance floor. Gabe hung back but Cale, Razz, Kress, Trac, and Lok formed a line with her. Alex was too caught up in the moment to notice Drake's absence. It wasn't by the end of the second group dance that she saw him lounging against the wall, drink in hand, speaking with an Anolis female. Alex scowled.

Cale was on her left and said in a low, calming tone, "Let him do his job."

Rile on her right, said in a harsh, unsympathetic voice, "You wanted him to be a Guardian."

"Guardian, yes. Piece of meat for predatory Anolis females, no."

Rile took her hand and danced her away as the music changed to a couple's dance. "We'll keep an eye on him. Maybe he'll learn something. You wanted him as a spy type, so let him spy."

Despite Rile's dance steps, Alex kept her eye on Drake. When another Anolis female joined the first, Alex gripped Rile's hand hard. Her knuckles turned white as she watched the females touch Drake and hang on his every word. When a third joined, it turned into a crushing squeeze. When the fourth walked over, her hand sparked red and Rile protested.

Rile whispered, "There they go," as Drake and one of the five slipped out a back door, bare and with only a single lever. "I advise eavesdropping. This is about information, right?"

"Only if it doesn't get Drake killed," she said.

"They're guarding that door." Rile nodded at the Anolis female. "They must be doing something behind there."

The lead  female Anolis was standing guard at the door, her eyes darting around, taking in everything. Her claws were sharp and looked deadly and they tapped on the hilt of his sword.

"You distract the guard so she doesn't sound the alarm," Alex said. "I'll take care of the three."

"Alex, Alex, Alex," Rile said, "Team, remember?" He nodded at Gabe and Cale and flicked a claw toward the Anolis at the door. They split up and slunk against the opposite walls toward the Anolis. "She's watching you."

"I'll give her something to watch," Alex snarled but Rile quickly wrapped an arm around her waist and spun her in the opposite direction.

"Misdirection," he said. "Let Gabe and Cale have a shot." He dipped her low, her tunic swirling, and then brought her back up before spinning her again.

The music was loud and fast and Alex could feel the beat pulsing through her body. "Dance me over to the band," Alex said, her voice softer now.

Once there, Alex signaled the band leader for the loudest and rowdiest of the group dances, the one with the most jumping. Alex shot Razz a significant look and he herded a mass of dancers onto the floor. The dancers were a blur of color and motion, their laughter and shouting ringing in Alex's ears.

Cale wandered over to the Anolis warriors and chatted with them. Alex vanished into the mob and speed-burst to the door. Alex blasted each as as she could, Cale blocking the view from the dance floor as each warrior slumped into unconsciousness. Alex then pressed her ear against the door, straining to hear what was happening on the other side.

"We'll send you in pieces to that miserable mammal," an Anolis female said. "You will be alive to the very end. We'll start with one finger."

**

A/N

Dedicated to newest reader/voter

AudreyLinville