CH 9.3 Draconic Mona Lisa

"Whore."

     Alex whirled on the speaker in the market. "Don't you dare call Raba that."

     "I was talking about you." The female Agama lifted her chin, eyes defiant.

     "Oh." Alex ran her fingers through her bangs. "Never mind then." She linked arms with Raba and walked on. She felt Raba's stare and said, "I told you I was lower status than the Mercy Tent. Did you think I was lying?" The corner of her mouth quirked up in a smile as she slid a sideways glance at her.

     "I hoped you were exaggerating to make Dola and I feel better."

     "Sorry, not into the lying bit anymore. Not even the white ones," Alex said cheerfully.

     "Why would you defend me and not yourself?" Raba asked.

     "You, I like."

     Walking back, they saw that Drake had again come to the outer limits allowed by the Mercy Tent. Dola and Pala told Alex that he wanted to see her. This time Alex walked straight up to the lanky, well-dressed Agama.

            "I have a gift for you." Drake indicated a covered basket.

            "You open it." Alex said with caution and took a step back.

            With a dazzling smile and a flourish, Drake opened it, but Alex was too far away to see inside. With a distrustful look at Drake, she came closer and leaned over to see inside. Alex's gasp surprised and then amused Drake into chuckling.

"Where did you get those? You take those back immediately!" Alex ordered in a high, nervous voice, because the basket held a clutch of eggs.

            He grinned ruefully at her. "The female who gave them to me didn't want them."

            "Let me guess: one of your females."

            Drake lifted his hands in surrender. "We all heard what you did with Flint's girl's clutch. I thought you would like to do the same with these."

            "One, I didn't do anything and two, she's not 'Flint's girl'. Besides, Cale found the prospective parents and Kira picked the ones she thought most suitable."

            Drake extended his palms toward her. "Please, you're the only Guardian I can talk to."

Alex wagged a finger at him. "This does not make up for what you did to me and Rile."

            "I know. I can only try. Look, Guardian, through your power, you did for me what I had only dreamed of."

"Uhhh," Alex backed away, hands up. "It's neuro-electric power that directly accesses your ah, pleasure, centers. Best to forget about it."

"No, not that, Guardian." Drake's expression grew dreamy. "You joined me and Rile. It was glorious."

The color drained from Alex's face and her expression was dismayed. "I never thought I would apologize to a pimp, but I am sorry, Drake."

            "A what?" The untranslatable word jarred Drake's expression and he blinked several times.

            "I'm sorry you felt that with my power, although, when I think about it, it is your fault. Look, you want to make up to me, I'll tell you what you can do. You tell me about any and all child prostitution rings and I'll consider us even. You get rid of the competition and I do a good deed. Deal?"

            "Deal." Drake stood up, brushed off his fine linen pants, and walked off with a wink, leaving Alex with the basket.

            "I do seem to love making deals with devils." Alex gingerly picked up the basket and went to the Mercy Tent.