Chapter 20.3 Crazy or Not

Alex landed on her favorite ledge that was not too far up the cliff. She and Cale sometimes came here to pray. It was wide and grassy and had a fantastic view of the sunset over Little Egg Mountain. There was such silence on could almost hear the slow creep of the sun over the horizon, the breeze, and smell the scent of fresh air and grass.

She untied Drake's hands and said, "Tell me what happened."

"You had that short..." Drake stopped, trying to remember the word.

"Circuit."

"Circuit," he repeated obediently. "I asked how to help. You said that Rile held you and sang while Cale held your hands and prayed. I told you that I only knew dirty drinking songs and wasn't much of a prayer, but I prayed anyway."

Alex snickered at his drinking song comment.

"Then I heard a roaring in my head, followed by someone shouting in a language I didn't understand."

"That was Morgan," Alex said. "Later I heard an Agama shouting. Who was that?"

"That was my father."

Alex grimaced. "Bastard. Agama or human, they say the same things."

"I'm not sure how The Adversary became involved. I swear it, Alex." Drake held out his hands, his palms open and upturned. Drake's face was awash with concern.

"I know." Alex's voice was soft, her hands gentle as she clasped Drake's. Alex looked down and saw the bruises were just starting to show at his wrists. "Probably too good an opportunity for him to pass up."

"Try convincing the brothers of that." Drake couldn't resist a small, twisted smile.

"I'll convince Cale," Alex said. "Then he and I can work on Rile in our own ways. Then Gabe's outvoted." Alex drew in a deep breath and let it out slowly. "I love Rile desperately but he is crazy over-protective."

"They all are, Alex."

Alex dropped his hands and sunk into herself. "I know. It's my fault," she whispered.

"Your fault? I hardly think that's the reason."

Alex rubbed her arms. "I think my power is poisoning them."

"That's crazy, Alex."

She hugged herself. "I'm crazy but it's not crazy. You've felt my power. You know it's a gold mine." Tears rolled down her cheeks and she didn't brush them away.

Drake wiped the tears away and then pried her hand away and rubbed it until it relaxed. Then he held her hand out before him and kissed her palm. "Your power is not poison. It does not make one crazy. If anything, it brings out the best in someone."

Alex stared at him, brown eyes are heavy with unshed tears. "I don't believe you."

"It brought out the best in me. I gave up my former profession, my former desires, and now all I want is to become a Guardian. Don't you think that's a rather noble outcome of your power?"

Alex huffed. "That wasn't my power. That was you."

Drake smiled and kissed her palm again. "You think too highly of me."

"My power will not make you a Guardian. You will become a Guardian on your own, with a little of my training."

Drake shrugged. "It all began with you and your power. You're not crazy and it's not poison. You'll not win this one, Guardian."

Alex chewed her lip. "Lucky for you I'm hungry and thirsty and dying for wine after a short circuit." She wrapped her fingers around her own hand, which was now laced with Drake's. "Let's fly back and hope the brothers have cooled off. Cale and Rile might have, although Gabe will still be furious. We'll avoid him."