Day Off

"Uh what are we doing again?" I look up at Camilo as he shuts the door to his room. He gives me a sidewise smile,

"Breakfast, remember?" He says angling his head down towards me.

"Oh yeah... right."

I follow him downstairs and into the kitchen. I almost tripped like three times because I was still in a daze from earlier. Upon arriving, I realized that we were late and the only ones not seated at the table. The second we moved to take our seats Mirabel narrowed her eyes at me, giving me a "we'll talk about this later" look.

"So nice of you to join us." Abuela says, a hint of sarcasm in her voice. Oops. I blame Camilo.

I awkwardly smile and began to eat like everyone else. Camilo kept glancing over at me and I nudged him under the table. I didn't want his whole family to know we were- what what were we doing? Was this dating? Just kissing? I have no idea. Anyways.

The food was delicious as usual. To go from not knowing when my next meal was to this was insane. I wonder how long they'd let me stay, I'd love to eat this food forever.

I listened to the conversations going on at the table. I was pretty quiet since I was focused on eating. Antonio was telling Camilo about his animals, Mirabel was teasing Lusia after seeing her walk home with a boy from the village, and Dolores and Isabela were talking about Mariano's upcoming birthday.

Suddenly I hear Dolores.

"Hm!" She squeaks loudly. Everyone turns to look at her. She has a shocked expression on her face and her head is tilted like she's listening to something. I can feel her emotions. Shock, confusion, and a little bit of... fear?

"Excuse me." She says quietly and places her napkin on the table before sprinting out of the room. All of the family members look at each other for a second then continue eating. What was that?

After dinner, Abuela stood up.

"As you all know, it's Saturday. Because of your hard work and completion of all your chores, I've decided to give you all the day off. You can choose to spend this day however you'd like." She said with a small smile.

All the kids at the table cheered and a few "finally!" And "thank you's" were said.

Hm. What did the Madrigal family do with a day off?

"Can we go swimming? Down by the lake?" Isabela pleads. All of the other kids join in.

"Yes, Abuela please!"

"We haven't been down there in so long!"

"Come on Abuela, we've done all our chorreees!"

Abuela sighed and thought to herself for a second.

"Oh fine! But don't track water in the house!" She waves her hand dismissively. Mirabel hooks her arm in mine as all the kids instantly run upstairs in excitement. I was in the middle of eating-

"Let's go get ready!" She drags me along.

"Sooo we're going swimming?" I ask as Mirabel pulls me into her room.

"Yes! It's super fun, especially when everyone goes!" She starts rummaging through a cabinet. She grabs two bathing suits.

"Here. You can borrow one of mine." She tosses me a two piece bathing suit. I hold it up. Uh where's the rest of it?

"Are these gaps supposed to be there?" I ask raising an eyebrow.

"Uh yeah? That bathing suits super cute, it's gonna look amazing on you!" She smiles at me, turning around so I can put it on.