Bruno's Lesson (1)

As I walked out of Camilo's room, Mirabel instantly met eyes with me and ran over.

"There you are! I've been looking everywhere for you! I got worried when you weren't in bed... I thought you- well that you'd left for good." She looked down in insecurity. I grabbed her shoulder and she looked up to meet my gaze. Her expression softened and she smiled as I squeezed her arm.

"Hey don't get all sappy on me! I'm not going anywhere. I promise." I reassured her. She adjusted her glasses with a laugh before saying,

"I'm really glad to hear that. You're like my only friend- well besides my family." She rolled her eyes. We both laughed and Mirabel let out a drawn out sigh with a relaxed expression.

"OH WAIT!" Mirabel shouted suddenly remember something. "Bruno's waiting for you in his tower, I totally forgot!" She facepalmed and grabbed my wrist to lead me to a part of the house I didn't recognize. She released her grip on me once we arrived at a little staircase, which in all honesty, looked a little rickety.

Mirabel ran up and I followed close behind, making sure not to trip and fall on the decaying wood steps. We were met by a wall of falling sand. "Uhhhh how are we supposed to get through that?" I asked unsure. She looked at me with a shrug.

"Just close your eyes, hold your breath, and hope for the best! That's what I always do." I look at her with skepticism, "Okay well it might not be the most efficient way... but it works!" She adds with a laugh. I roll my eyes jokingly and gasp as Mirabel disappears behind the sand wall. I take her advice and close my eyes before walking forward.

"Wha-" I instantly stopped talking as I realized I was pressed face first into sand. I immediately stood up and starting spitting sand out of my mouth. I looked up to see a laughing Mirabel who had just finished wiping the sand from her glasses. 

"You'll get used to it." She said reassuringly, helping me dust sand out of my clothes. "I don't think I'll ever get used to that." I said while adjusting my shirt to let the sand that had fallen inside escape.

I looked around to see rows and rows of steep stairs. "Are we going to climb all that?" I asked, already feeling tired. She smirked and walked over to a little contraption that consisted of a wooden frame and two long lines of rope that stretched all the way up to what I assumed was the top.

"Thankfully, no. We used to have to climb every single stair a while back but after casita fell and we rebuilt, we decided to add this little guy!" She leaned against the wooden contraption and it creaked in response. "What does it do?" I asked confused, she motioned for me to come towards her.

"Stand here." She requested. "Uhhh okay?" I replied after a little mental debate. I moved to stand over the small "X" that was engraved into the ground. "Now what?" I asked confused as she tied a looped piece of rope around my waist. She reached for a lever behind her and gave me a quick salute. I stared at her confused.

"Say hi to Bruno for me!" Mirabel said with a smile then pulled the lever. "Uh wha-" I cut myself off with a scream as I was sent sky rocketing into the air, held by the rope.

I reached the top with a thud, carefully shuffling my feet towards solid ground as they were still hanging. I was dangling so high up that I couldn't see Mirabel below me anymore, my stomach lurched. "I'm gonna kill her." I whispered to myself.

I shifted my weight fully onto the edge of the cliff and began to lift away the tangle of ropes that surrounded my body.

"Um hello." A voice said from a few feet away. I nearly fell off the cliff in surprise. I looked up to see Bruno with his hands raised in surrender. "I didn't mean to startle you! Here here come inside." He said while motioning for me to follow him through a creepy looking door.

—-

He offered me a seat once we arrived inside the dimly lit room which was covered in sand. Ugh, having sand in every crevice wasn't how I planned to spend my morning.

"I hope the trip wasn't too bad. I personally hate that pulley machine..." He said.

I lied to be polite. "Oh it was no trouble at all, thank you for agreeing to meet with me." He gave me a weak smile and took a seat in sand across from me.

*(another authors note, this is the fic where y/n has powers and Bruno has offered to train her. If you guys find these notes helpful please let me know, I'd be happy to add them for anyone who gets mixed up after reading several fics!)*

After a few minutes of awkward silence Bruno finally spoke.

"So umm. What do you know about your abilities? I think we should start with understanding what we're working with." He said eyeing me cautiously. I nodded before going into a brief explanation of my powers. How I could feel others emotions and if concentrated, could make emotions take a physical state.

He nodded as he listened intently. After allowing me to finish explaining he thought to himself for a minute. "Could you show me one of these orb things you described," He watched my eyebrows raise at his request, "Its fine if you don't feel comfortable with that" I perked my head up at him. "It's fine, it just might take me a second." I explained. He nodded and told me to take as much time as I needed.

I adjusted my position to sit criss crossed and took a deep inhale. I closed my eyes. What memory invoked a strong emotion in me? It didn't take me long to choose. I relaxed my muscles and thought back to the previous night where Camilo brought me to that beautiful cave. The memory was engraved in my mind, everything from that night resurfaced. The moon peeking through the roof of the cave, the flowers growing on the walls, the small box which sat on the blanket he laid out. Huh, I never did open that box, I wonder what was in it.

I heard a small gasp and instinctively opened my eyes. Swirling around me was bright purple lights, flickering to various shades of blue and pink. It almost resembled the aurora borealis, well that was new.

"Is this typically what happens?" Bruno asked with a shocked expression, looking up in wonderment.

"Um no..." I responded, equally dumbfounded.

"I think these lessons are going to be more interesting than I initially thought..." Bruno said with a small chuckle.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey everyone, sorry for the long times between updates. I want to thank everyone so sincerely from the bottom of my heart, it means so much to me that you guys have stuck through this whole story with me (even the really cringey parts, trust me I've had to put my phone down a few times while writing 😭) but im so grateful for everyone! Have an amazing day <3