Nightmare

The day had gone by quickly, mostly spent messing around with Camilo and completing tasks around the village. He seemed super tired afterwards, he had been shapeshifting all day to help townsfolk. After awhile, I was exhausted too and it was getting late anyways. I walked back into Mirabels room, dragging my feet.

"Long day?" Mirabel asks as I open the door.

I sigh. "Very. Not necessarily a bad thing though."

I noticed her position. She was sitting on her bed in pajamas with her legs crossed and her head being supported by her arms. Her elbows rested on her legs. She was staring the ground.

"Hey, hey... is everything okay?" I ask while moving over to her, wrapping a gentle hand around her shoulder. She sniffles a little.

"Yeah. It's just-" She stopped talking abruptly and gave a fake smile, blinking her forming tears away.

"It's nothing, I'm fine!" She says trying to put on a cheery smile. I can see right through her.

"Mirabel, you don't always have to be a pillar of strength. It's okay to be vulnerable, you taught me that." I say softly.

She looked at me gratefully, then buried her head in her hands.

"I know that everyone was just teasing me earlier but what if it's true? What if I never find love?" She shakes her head as she says it. "I'm not even allowed to leave this village, how am I supposed to go out in the world and find someone? I've already met everyone who lives here, no one's the 'right person'." She says with air quotes. She lets out a heavy sigh.

"Maybe I'll just have to settle for one of the men Abuela picked." She said while looking at the floor, disheartened.

"You should never have to settle Mirabel. One day, you'll find a man you love. It doesn't have to be Abuelas choice." I respond reassuringly. Mirabel sharply inhales.

"Y/N, I don't even know if I want to marry a man! What would Abuela say if she knew? I don't even know how to began to mention that to her! Every time she picks a suitor, it's another brainless boy! The only person I've even began to like in this village was married off the second she turned 16..." She says while looking up, trying to will herself not to cry.

I grab her and pull her in for a tight hug.

"Mirabel, I can't tell you how your Abuela would react to that. But I'm always here and I will always be here, no matter who you love. And I know your cousins and siblings would say the same." I remark while brushing the pieces of hair that clung to her tear stained face.

She gives me a weak smile. "Thank you, Y/N. It means a lot."

She yawns and stretches her arms out.

"Wow, sharing your feelings is mentally exhausting!" She exclaims, I let out a laugh.

"Im gonna go to bed, maybe we can talk more in the morning?" She says while pulling back her comforter.

"Talk to you in the morning." I confirm.

As we both get into our beds, I hear her lamp flick off.

I'm woken up by a nauseating feeling in my stomach. Fear. Someone's emotions were overwhelming me entirely. I stood up out of bed and instantly grabbed my head, feeling a migraine coming on. Ugh. There's no way I was going back to sleep after this.

I walk to the door and peek out of it to see a dark empty hallway. I wanted to investigate. Someone must have literally been having a mental breakdown. I rubbed my temples as I walked to try and relieve the pain.

The feeling amplified as I walked down the hall. Until I could feel the emotions practically radiating out of Camilo's room. Was he okay? I knocked lightly. No response.

Was something hurting him? I wouldn't let that happen. I quickly swung the door opening walking inside. As I close the door behind me I take in my surroundings. The whole room is covered top to bottom in mirrors, I look to the center to see Camilo crumped on the floor. His knees pulled up to his chest and his hands covering his eyes. He was shaking in terror.

"Who's- who's there?" His voice cracks.

"Camilo? What's wrong?" I say running to his side. As I kneel beside him he tensed and flinched away. I didn't know what to do.

"Y/N who am I? Please tell me, I can't look at myself." He asks me pleadingly.

"Camilo?! You're you?" I grab him and pull him closer to me. His relief hits me. He collapses on my lap in a fit of sobs. I hold him close to me in hopes of calming him. After a while he speaks.

"I've been having these nightmares where I can't change back into me. I'm stuck as someone else. But the worst part is, everyone prefers it that way- no one wants me to be... me. And every time I look in the mirror I'm scared that a strangers eyes will be looking back at me. I feel like I'm losing myself. I don't even know what I look like anymore!" He calls out painfully.

I cradle his face in my hands.

"Camilo, look at me. You're you and I'm right here. I prefer you just the way you are, you're amazing."

He slowly opens his eyes fearfully. As he meets my gaze his eyes blur with tears.

"If I'm amazing then why does everyone ask me to be someone else? How am I supposed to love who I am when I'm only praised for turning into others. People don't need Camilo, people don't want Camilo. They only want me when I become someone else." He finally stutters out before laying his head back down in my lap and crying.

I hold him like that for awhile. Stroking his hair and brushing away his tears.

"I only want you Camilo, no one else. But you know, no matter what face you put on, you'll always be Camilo deep down inside." I say assuringly. He perks his head up to me.

"Thank you Y/N." His breathing slowly starts to return to normal and he began standing up off the floor. I help him up. Suddenly his rooms spins until it's a bedroom again.

He rubs his tear stained eyes and let out a breathy laugh while saying-

"Im sorry you have to see me like this-"

I interrupt him.

"Never apologize for that. I want to see every part of you Camilo, everything." I say sternly.

He raises his eyebrows.

"Everyyy part?" He says humorously, his eyes still puffy and red from crying. I push him lightly on the arm and roll my eyes.

"You have horrible timing!" I say facepalming. I could tell he was just trying to cover up the fact that he was really shooken up with jokes, but seriously!?

As I walk him over to his bed he tries his hardest to act tough but I can tell he's still scared. As he gets in I kiss him on the cheek. I make sure he's calmed down and all set. I don't want him to think I'm "tucking him in" so I awkwardly laugh.

"Well I guess I should let you get some sleep." I say while turning around. I hear the mattress shift as he sits up in his bed and grabs my wrist as I'm walking away. When I turn back around he's sitting there, slightly embarrassed. He looks down at his covers and fiddles with his thumbs as he asks-

"Hey Y/N... could you stay?" His head pulls back as he says it, almost as if he's expecting me to say no.

"Of course."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hey everyone! Sorta just dawned on me that all my chapters are insanely short so I'm sorry about that 😭😭. Hopefully you guys enjoyed this chapter! Ik it was sorta unclear but Mirabels bi in the fic. Im like 99% sure she's cannon bi in the show so I included that! Leave suggestions or criticism! (Also I plan to get to some of the other suggestions soon I just want to smoothly work them into the story, it has like no plot but still 💀💀) Have a great night everyone!