Dolores: The secrets we keep

Description: Request from @cloudy_xz "Could you maybe do Dolores x shy reader but like make it where they are friends to lovers and haven't told anyone yet"

Ship: Dolores x shy!fem!reader

Warnings: None that I can think of

------------------------

"Hey you!" My best friend said, wrapping an arm around my shoulders.

I quickly looked away from her as I felt my cheeks start burning, "Hey."

"So, you know how we were talking yesterday about going to that new fishing ground we found the other day?"

"Yeah, it looks pretty."

"It's more than 'pretty' y/n! It's incredibly beautiful!"

"Right! Yeah that's what I meant!"

"Did I ever tell you why you're my best friend?"

I shook my head.

"You're always so quiet, it's a relief from the constant noise I'm used to."

I gave her a smile. Little did she know my quietness came from a place of incredible shyness. I've been in love with her since we were 17, almost 5 years ago. I've always been quiet, but the absolute infatuation definitely hasn't helped. This was one secret I had never shared with anyone for fear of her overhearing. It was better to keep this to myself.

"I'm glad it doesn't bother you!" I gave her another smile.

The arm around my shoulders brought me closer and she leaned her head against mine, "You could never bother me!"

I tried to smile again but it came out lopsided. My cheeks were burning and my stomach was filled with butterflies.

"So!" I clapped my hands together, pulling away from her a little, "Let's go to that fishing ground hm?"

"Yes let's go!" She linked her arm in mine and started walking.

I kept quiet while we walked, nervous my voice would shake and also just happy to listen to her. She always had a lot to say. Being able to hear everyone made it easy for her to keep me up to date with the town's gossip. She would tell me about relationship issues people were experiencing, big changes in people's lives, who was coming and who was going. It was all good news to know.

"Now you're being too quiet; is something wrong?" She asked me, slowing us down so she could look at me.

"Wrong? Oh no, not at all!" I tried to keep my voice steady but I knew there was a blush creeping into my cheeks.

She cocked her head slightly and I saw her eyes look down at my cheeks for a brief moment before she gave me another smile and continued pulling me along.

"Ok well if you're sure. You usually aren't this quiet. Usually you love listening to all the news from the town?" She said, walking at a faster pace.

I glanced over and she had a small frown on her face, obviously upset with my actions. I couldn't respond. Every time I was near her I feared I would blurt out how in love I was with her. Everything about her was perfect and I couldn't keep her off my mind. I mentally thanked my gods there was no mind reader in the Madrigal family.

She couldn't let my actions go and continued to ramble, "Like, if something's wrong just tell me because I kind of feel like I may as well be going to this place by myself."

This was my moment. I stopped walking and held my hands together, looking anywhere but her big bright eyes. She softly placed her hand on my cheek, forcing me to make eye contact with her and at the same time, forcing a thousand butterflies into my stomach. When I looked up, it felt like she was staring into my soul. An immediate wave of trust washed over me and everything I was keeping inside came spilling out.

"I've been in love with you since we weee seventeen. I've kept it to myself and hoped the feelings would go away with time but they've only grown. I know you don't feel the same but I can't get you out of my stupid head. You're all I can think about and the idea of not being with you makes me-"

She cut me off with a kiss, holding my waist with one hand and my cheek with the other. Her eyes were closed as she deepened the kiss and as my initial shock faded away, I closed mine too. She pulled away after a few moments, placing her forehead on mine and breathing heavily.

"Why didn't you tell me sooner?" She whispered.

"I was too scared to lose you."

She kissed me again, softer this time. More of a response than anything else.

"Of course I'm in love with you too. I'm just better at hiding it!" She giggled, earning a small arm slap from me.

"Whatever," I rolled my eyes, confidence growing in my chest.

"Come on, let's keep going. That fishing ground will be more interesting now!"

*two months later*

No one had been told about Dolores and I. We wanted to keep it a secret, mainly because we knew we could. No one could hear us, we were always very careful around her family and my own as well. The only one who had been suspecting anything was Isabela. She would always be hiding around a corner, hoping to catch us kissing or holding hands. She had come close a few times; Dolores and I were more cautious now.

She was walking me home after a weekend at Casita. The sun was going down in the sky and it was filled with beautiful yellows and oranges. It reminded me so much of her and I took the opportunity to glance over and smile.

"I can feel you staring, what's up?" She asked.

"Oh nothing, you're just, really beautiful," Some of the shyness I felt before still remained and probably would for a little while longer.

We got to my door and I gave her a hug goodbye before turning around to enter. She surprised me by grabbing my hand and spinning me around, placing a kiss on my lips. She deepened it and only stopped when I pulled away.

"So much for keeping it a secret huh?" I softly chuckled.

"Screw secrets, I want everyone to know we belong to each other."

"Aha!" Isra's voice came from the side of my house. She had her finger pointing at us and a huge smile on her face, "I knew it! I knew it! I was right!"

Dolores and I looked at each other and laughed.

"Luisa thought I was crazy but I knew!" She continued.

"Isa! Keep it down! You might as well tell the whole town!" I laughed, thinking my sarcasm was obvious.

"That's a great idea!" She ran off, shouting as she did so, "Y/n and Dolores sitting in a tree!"

I couldn't help but laugh again.

"I guess there's no point in trying to hide now," Dolores shrugged, holding my hips to bring me closer to her, "I love you so much."

"I love you more," I pushed my lips onto hers and felt her smile.

This felt so right.