13. My Descent

Robin

I squeeze my eyes shut and hold tight onto my pj's as I fall to my demise. Think Ro' what would the Avengers do? Use your powers! I try to use my telekinesis to float like Wanda, but there is no need. I suddenly feel two metallic arms under my arms and picking me up bridal style. I open my eyes and see a familiar red and gold suit. The buildings next to us fly by as we fly up.

"Dad?" I ask with tears in my eyes, hoping that he's actually there and this isn't just some bot.

"It's okay, I'm here," he tells me as his mask retracts showing his face. All I can do is cry. I usually hate crying in front of people, but I couldn't help it, I really couldn't. I don't stop crying until we reach the balcony again and he puts me down. I don't want to let go, afraid that the chip might take over and I will never see him again. So I stand there, crying into his chest. He doesn't let go either. I don't know how long we stood there, but I guess it was too long.

"Ro, I'm going to need you to let go," Tony calmly tells me. He tries to leave my grasp but I don't let him go.

"Please, I don't want to leave you," I quietly sob. He lifts my chin up and makes me look him in the eyes.

"I don't want to either kid, but we need to deactivate the chip before you hurt yourself any more. You got this," he tells me with a smile. I take a deep breath, and slowly relax my hold on him. I turn around and notice we are the only ones on the balcony. I thought everyone else was here. Welp at least they didn't see me cry. It's a bit less embarrassing now. I keep my gaze on my feet and Tony takes my hand in his and starts to lead me inside. I stop at the door. I want to go inside, but the chip doesn't want me to. "You can fight it kid."

"No I can't," I tell him worriedly. At this point my hand is shaking tremendously because of how hard I'm trying to fight the urge to let go. It starts to take over and I let go, Tony grabs my hand again and sighs.

"I'm sorry Ro, I didn't want to do this," Tony apologizes. Do what? I suddenly feel a sharp prick on my left shoulder. My vision starts to get blurry and I almost fall, but he grabs me and picks me up.

"Put me... down," I mumble feverishly. I start to squirm in his arms but it's no use.

"Sorry boss, no can do," Tony laughs. Then black absorbs my vision.

Tony

    I make my way through the hall to my lab, Robin lays still in my arms. She looks so peaceful when she's asleep. When I enter the lab I'm met with the faces of the Avengers, all eager to see what happened to the girl that we all consider family.

    "Did you really need to tranquilize her?" Sam asks, a concerned look upon his face.

    "It's not a tranquilizer, it's a sedative," Nat remarks. "It's probably what she would want anyway." I set her sleeping body onto a table and wheel my new invention to her side.

    "Why couldn't we do this in the infirmary, that table doesn't look too comfortable?" Wanda asks, they all surround the table now.

    "If you couldn't tell, this machine doesn't exactly move around easily," I remark. I start the process of disarming the chip. It's a lot like an x-ray machine, actually that's basically what it is. I used an old x-ray machine and made a few changes. The deactivation took a bit, but soon it was over.

    "How do we know that the Procedure worked?" Vision questioned.

    "We don't, well not until she wakes up," I tell them. It is only now that I take a look at my watch. It's now 1 am and I'm tired as hell.