18. Deja Vu

Robin

I open my eyes to a familiar landscape, a beach and a boardwalk. Great, I guess Loki wanted a little chat. Now I just need to find him.

"Right behind you," his voice calls. I turn around and see him sitting on a set of steps leading to the entrance of an amusement park. The sky is a deep shade of purple, that is one of the main reasons I know we are in my head.

"And to what do I owe the pleasure," I sigh as I stand across from him.

"Do I not get a Hi, or hello? You humans," Loki grumbles standing up and wiping sand off of his pants. "Do we really need to be at a beach? It's so messy."

"What? I thought you chose this place," I question.

"Nope, this is your mind after all," he tells me matter of factly.

    "Okay, anyway. I was sleeping rather peacefully and you have disturbed it," I complain, "so I would highly appreciate it if you tell me why you are here."

    "As I tried to tell you awhile ago, you know when you kicked me out, you are in grave danger," he tells me carelessly.

    "What?" I ask a hint of fright in my voice.

    "You heard me right," he sighs as if he's bored.

    "You can't be correct, I'm out of Hydra, Ross, and the chip is deactivated!" I point out, storming toward him.

    "Cut one head off and two grow in its place," Loki shrugs, "Hydra really is never out of the picture. I would think a smart girl like you would know that by now."

    "What do you mean?" I ask. He doesn't talk. "I can kick you out, you know that right."

    "And what good would that do for you?" He questions, this time I'm the one who doesn't talk. "You are a valuable asset, with your adolescence, so many "adjustments" could be made. Also Hydra doesn't let people leave that easily, you should know that by now. You know with your non-biological father's situation."

    "Don't you fucking bring him into this," I raise my voice, "how do you even know this?"

    "Oh Robin, I have my ways," he notes.

    "Why don't you come and meet me in real life?" I ask, pointing a finger.

    "I'm a little tied up, currently this is the best I can do," Loki sighs, "I am needed elsewhere now, I have to go." He walks over to the entrance of the amusement park and a portal forms.

    "Wait," I yell, deja vu, "I don't know what to do." He turns back briefly.

    "You will figure it out," he tells me. Then he steps through the portal and is gone. The sky starts to cave in, once again, deja vu. Pieces of the sky fall like remnants of a broken mirror. The world deteriorates until it's just me and the darkness. I guess we still have some memories that aren't uncovered. Might as well explore for a bit. I focus hard and soon I'm brought to an alleyway. It's dirty and a flurry of snow is coming from the sky.

    "Please don't!" A plump man yells with a heavy Russian accent. He stumbles through the alley holding a briefcase in one hand and the other is putting pressure on a wound. A figure silently chases him and with a quick blast he's knocked down. The blast didn't come from a gun though, it was powers. He topples to the ground and hits the pavement with a loud crack. The figure towers over him. They wear a  catsuit full of weapons, it's like Natasha's but white. Wait, that's me? "NO, NO, Please! I have kids and a wife!" he pleads, but this version of me is merciless. I pull out a knife and slit his throat. Blood spills from his mouth and he lets out a gurgling noise. "You... will... regret... this." Then, he's gone and so am I. I silently flee from the scene and the memory ends.