00 • Prologue.

---
"Y/n! Y/n! Mija, Where are you?!" I heard my Mamá call out for me, the wooden planks that were on top of me were far too heavy for me to lift and the thick smoke made it even harder for me to breathe.

"Is this how I die?" I thought to myself, the mere thought making me cry. I tried wriggling out under the wooden planks which didn't work. I couldn't feel my legs anymore and my eyes were already blurry from my tears and the smoke.

I closed my eyes and cried out for help.

"Y/n! There you are Mija!" I heard my father run up to me.

I opened my eyes, seeing him lifting the wooden planks that were on top of me. He carried me out and ran as fast as he could.

Before we even made it to the stairs, it was already burning down. My father put me down and cupped my face.

"Y/n, listen to me. You have to make it out of here, the house is already falling. I'm gonna have to get you down, after that, run out as fast as you can. The others are waiting outside."

I nodded and wiped away my tears.

"What about you Papá, how are you gonna get out?"

He smiled at me, wrapping me in a tight hug.

"I'll find a way, Mija. I love you."

He kissed my forehead before throwing me downstairs, I groaned in pain but didn't waste any time. I quickly got up and immediately ran outside through the front door.

"Y/n! I was so scared, I – I thought I'd lose you!"

My mother ran up to me crying, hugging me tightly.

"Mamá.. Papá's still inside, we have to get him out!"

I cried, some of the neighbors were about to run inside to save him when.. the house collapsed.

"No! Andres, No!"

My Mother kneeled and sobbed, my brothers crouched down beside her. Tears rolling down their cheeks.

I stared at our house and watched as it slowly burned down into ash.

It's my fault he couldn't get out.

I sobbed and sat down beside my Brothers who tried to comfort me.

"Mama, I'm so sorry... I couldn't take.. I didn't know... I – I wanted to get out with him but --”

I sobbed, not being able to let out proper words. My Mamá stroked my back to try and comfort me.

"It was an accident, Y/n. Don't blame yourself.."

---

"Y/n! Wake up, let's eat." My brother, Marcos shook me awake.

I sat up and stretched my arms, it's been almost a month since the accident happened. I'm still trying to convince myself that my Papá's death wasn't my fault, but the guilt still lingers whenever I think about it.

If he didn't come back for me, he would've survived.

We're on our way to where my Tía Gabriella lives, my mamá's sister . It was a place called 'Encanto' and she says that it's a very special place.

"Eat up, everyone. We still have a long way to go."

Mamá gave us some Empanadas which Me and my Brothers gladly ate.