10 • Gift Ceremony (1)

Y/N'S POV

We walked into the kitchen, seeing tía Julieta. She smiled at us before worriedly glancing at Mirabel.

“Hola, tía Julieta!”

“Hola, Y/n! Whoa. Mi vida, you okay? You don’t have to over-do it.”

She states, wiping her hands on her apron before giving me a quick hug and a snack.

“I know, Mamá, I just want to do my
part like the rest of the family.”

Mirabel placed the basket on the floor, I quickly walked up to her to help place the things on the counter. Casita went ahead and took away the things for us.

Tío Agustin then walks in, my eyes widened in surprise as I saw him covered in bee stings. Mirabel looks up from the basket, a disgusted look immediately formed across her face.

“She’s right, Amor--”

“Eeeh..”

Mirabel whined as Agustin placed his stung hand ontop of hers. She pulls it back before continuing to take things out of the basket.

“First gift ceremony since yours, lot of emotions, and I’ve been there --”

“Bee stings.”

Mirabel says, making tía Julieta turn around to look.

“Ay, Agustin.”

She rolls her eyes before walking off to go get him a Buñuelo. He glances to me and pats me on the shoulders.

“Y/n! Nice to see you again! Thank you for helping Mirabel, we appreciate it!”

“Of course, tío. I don't mind helping around often.”

He smiles before looking back at Mirabel, I grabbed the last jar of candy and placed it on the counter, Casita immediately shuffling it away.

“You know, when me and your tío Félix
married into the family, outsiders
who had no gift, never ever would,
surrounded by the exceptional, it
was easy to feel...un-ceptional”

“Okay, papi.”

“I'm just saying I get it.”

Mirabel shrugs, placing the basket on the side before grabbing a small box. I peeked inside, seeing different colors of candles and doilys.

“What's that?”

I asked, she smiled and placed a finger on her lips.

“It's a surprise.”

She whispered, making me giggle and nod.

“Eat.”

Tía Julieta walks back in, shoving the Buñuelo in tío Agustin's mouth, healing him before waving him away.

“Mi amor, if you ever want to talk---”

She says, turning to Mirabel with a worried expression.

“I gotta put out the stuff, the
house isn’t gonna decorate itself.”

Mirabel chuckles, turning away. Casita lowers its decorations, feeling offended. I laughed, making Mirabel turn to Casita.

“Sorry, you could. You look great!”

She compliments it, making Casita happily raise its decorations back up. As Mirabel and I leave with a bunch of stuff, tía Julieta looks on.

“Corazon, remember you have
nothing to prove!”

“Yeah, remember... nothing to
prove!”

Tía Julieta says, tío Agustin horning in on the advice beside her.