EIGHT

Word Count: 1490

~Akara

My head rests against the wall of the carriage as it rocks unevenly over the unpaved path.

"What can we expect there?" I ask, watching Nakoa who sits opposite me. She turns her attention from the window to me, looking tired. Her and I haven't spoken about her run-in with the Snow Demon, and I don't think she wants to. I think she just wants to be home.

"The inside of the place has been mostly trashed. At least what Vaia's followers had access to," she notes, shuddering.

Marek adjusts in the seat beside me. "Any guesses on where Tai went?"

"No idea. He doesn't have any remaining family, so he must have gone off to someone he knows...You may know." Nakoa looks at me, but I shrug.

Only weeks ago, Tai and I were deeply in love, and I was ready to sacrifice everything for him. Now, after everything that has happened, and after what Evolet said to me, I almost feel like I stranger to Tai. Thinking back to it, it's as if I never actually knew him. If I did, I would know where has gone.

"He didn't have many friends. I have no idea," I say. I know both of them are silently questioning why I don't know. "Where's Zavian?"

"He could be anywhere. He escaped when Marek first got you out, and has likely gone into hiding," Nakoa says.

Exhaling, I rest back in my seat, relieved. I'm glad Zavian got away before Vaia could get to him.

Marek leans forward. "Thank you Nakoa, for helping us."

"I trust Akara," she says curtly. It's obvious that no matter how she feels about what has happened, her trust for Marek is still limited. She never knew what he was like before the rebellion. To her, he is just a traitor. "Whatever she wants, I will go along with."

"I know we didn't speak much Nakoa, so thank you for having faith," I say honestly. In this world, I suddenly have no one, which makes Nakoa willing to help me mean so much more.

"Becoming a Noble meant needing to read people. Evolet trusted you, and now I trust you," she says softly.

She turns away, brows creasing as she wills herself not to cry. I want to acknowledge it, to tell her that's okay, but it means nothing. She doesn't want to be made to feel weak, especially in front of Marek, so I decide not to mention it.

"Alright. Let's just hope we don't actually find anything there, and we can go find Tai," I exclaim, as if I'm trying to convince myself that what Evolet said meant nothing.

But what if we do find something?

I have no guesses of what it could be, I just know it's somewhere beneath Tai's workshop, which he neglected to mention to me throughout our entire relationship. Whether he is there or not doesn't matter or not, I'm going to see what's there whether it's the last thing I do.

"What did Evolet say he was hiding?" Nakoa asks. I'm surprised Evolet spoke of it to no one, especially Nakoa, who I imagine could keep the darkest secret.

"She didn't have time to tell me, but whatever it is, it's dark," I affirm, before I turn to look out the window, watching the Jade Province forest pass by.

***

A few hours later, and we arrive at the estate.

Hoping from the carriage, I shrug off my jacket. After our journey into the Azure Province, it's a relief to be reunited with a slightly warmer climate. Marek steps out next to me, squinting as he looks over the estate he has snuck in and around many times.