TWENTY TWO

Word Count: 2489

*Mature Content Warning*

~Akara

Marek returns within twenty minutes.

Most of that time I've sat by the window, gazing out into our front lawn, into the street, waiting for something terrible to happen. For the most part, I expected the entire town to band together and come knocking on our door to either kill me, or demand I leave.

When they look at Marek, they see a Summoner who is doing their best to avoid using their powers. But if they hear about me, they will know I have no control over mine.

I'm chewing on my fingernail as Marek walks in.

He pulls his hood back. "It's done."

"You didn't kill him, did you?" I ask, eyes roving over his body, looking for evidence of blood, or anything else incriminating. He looks the same as he did when he left, not even a little bit frazzled.

"No, of course not," he shakes his head, shrugging his coat off. "I just made it clear I would, if he decided to say anything."

I sigh. "Marek..."

I knew he was going to intimidate someone, and had he come to my door to tell me to stay quiet, I would, or I would uproot my entire life so I don't have to risk ever being on his bad side again. But that doesn't mean I don't think my neighbour may be less likely to leave, or to keep his mouth shut.

"It's fine, Akara. He won't say anything," Marek assures me, seeing the conflict on my face. Jake seemed so nice, I wish I had better control on my powers, so something like that could never happen. "Now, you can forget him."

I turn away from him, digging my hands through my hair. "I will never live a normal life, will I?"

"Of course you will. You will get a handle on your powers," Marek soothes.

I don't want to get a handle on my powers. I don't want to be a Summoner at all, but that decision was stripped from me. All I wanted was to pretend as though what I am doesn't matter, that I can just ignore it and live my life how I want to. With each day, it's becoming less and less likely.

"He was nice too," I mutter, thinking about how horrified he must be. "I almost agreed to go out with him."

Marek raises a brow. "Really?"

"Time is passing slowly here. I want some entertainment," I admit, falling onto the couch. It's not as if I don't enjoy the peace, but my only reason for doubting Jake was because I'm afraid of myself, and also because of Tai and Marek. Were it not for those things, I may have considered going out with him for some fun.

Marek stands in front of me, folding his arms over his chest. "We could talk about anything you wish, if that is what you desire, Akara."

"We've talked about almost everything, haven't we?"

Not completely. There is so much more about Marek that I want to know, but I'm afraid to ask him. He's an enigma, having lived for so long, and have had so many secrets. I know he would tell me if I asked, but part of me is more concerned about what his answers would be to my questions.

"Are you sure? I wouldn't be offended by any question you wish to ask, if it means giving you a different form of entertainment," he says. The smile in his eyes suggests he's teasing me, but I'm tempted to take him up on his offer, if it means distracting myself from thoughts on Jake.

I lean back, watching him, considering what I want to ask. Nothing too serious, but I do want to pry.

"How many lovers have you had?" I ask, biting my lower lip.