THIRTY ONE

Word Count: 1832

~Akara

I struggle to fall into an effortless sleep, plagued by flashing dreams...or memories.

Through the haze of unconsciousness, I can feel someone's lips pressed up against mine, urgent, desperate. But they are unfamiliar, until my eyes open, and I'm looking at Grey.

And just like that, my dream sucks me under.

"I could kiss you forever," he murmurs against my lips. My hands wind through his hair, tugging at the dark locks.

I pull back, examining his face. "So you've decided then?"

"I'll take you anywhere you want, as long as I get to spend all that time with you." He grins, capturing my lips again. I allow him a few more kisses, before I gently push his shoulders back, holding that dark gaze of his. In some universe, he would be attractive to me, but my interests lie elsewhere.

"Of course. That's the whole point," I say coyly, tilting my head, painting a not-so-platonic smile upon my lips. He won't sleep with me...I won't allow it. But making him think he will is all a part of the plan.

"Once you meet this Marek guy, we'll run away together, right?" he asks hopefully.

I nod, getting to my feet. The motel room here is hardly optimal, but it's only for a short period of time.

"Before that, I need to find her," I note, pacing back and forth, listening to the floorboards creak beneath me. It's so typical of the Jade Province to have ancient buildings that are practically falling apart. But I have no money to my name. Whatever I acquire, will be through my ability to manipulate.

I'm that desperate.

"Are you going to tell me who she is?" Grey presses, resting back against the headboard. With my back turned to him, I roll my eyes, hearing him adjusting himself in his pants.

I swear, some people are born to be the prey.

"Doesn't matter. What matters is I need to find her," I exclaim, continuing to pace. Looking out the window, I chew on my finger, seeing the stars that are scattered across the sky. I wonder if he sees them right now too, thinking I'm dead.

"What do you need from her?"

"Information. Someone told me I need to speak to her, that she will know what to do," I murmur distractedly. As if I would reveal my true plan to this man. He doesn't even know my desired lover where I need him to take me.

"Who told you that?" Grey pushes, trying to scratch up anything on me he can, trying to be involved. I would feel bad, if I didn't know what kind of person he is.

I sigh, approaching the bed again. "Why don't you just shut up and kiss me again."

He grins, as I lean down, gripping his chin as my lips press against his...

I sit up, gasping wildly, hand resting on my chest to feel my heart racing painfully against it. The graphic replay of my dream starts to ebb away, falling into the shadows of my failing memory.

Did I just experience the return of an old memory?

Grey appeared so life-like, as if I had actually lived that out. And I could feel my motivations, even if the reason for them was blurred. Slowly, but surely, my memories are returning, and each time they do, I'm even more horrified at what the reveal.

I shiver, tucking my blanket up to my chin, staring toward my open window, the curtain fluttering in the breeze.

I don't like who that was...that version of me. I was using Grey, and I had no remorse.