THIRTEEN

Word Count: 1974

~Vaela

I stare up out of the carriage window, admiring the sprawling buildings at heights I've never conceived of before.

"So this is what a city looks like," I marvel, tilting my head to get a better look.

This place is almost the exact opposite of the Jade Province. Instead of trees, there are endless buildings and roads paved through them, copious amounts of people mulling about, minding their own business. It's like one of the villages, but tripled in size, with enough people to fill all these buildings.

"I don't recommend any of you going for a walk without someone else with you," Marek instructs, bringing my gaze back to his. "This place is very unforgiving."

"We will be fine," Zavian mutters.

"I've been here a few times on tours with Kailor. I've never liked it," Nakoa says, shivering. She has huddled closer to Zavian, avoiding looking out the window. Whatever memories haunt her, I doubt she is going to share them with us, and I wouldn't dare ask.

All of a sudden the carriage comes to a stop.

"Looks like we made it," I muse, looking out the window again. We appear to be in the main street, the building's here especially magnificent. It wouldn't surprise me if in one of these, Tai has been staying for the past couple weeks, hiding out from Vaia. I can't imagine anything would inspire her to come here.

"You can always turn back, Akara. You don't need to see him, I can just go in," Zavian reminds me before we step out. I have no doubt everyone would stay in this carriage and have it turned away if I said the word, if any of us said the word.

I shake my head. "I'll be okay, Zavian. I need answers."

"Then let's go," Nakoa exclaims, as we clamber out onto the street.

It doesn't take us long to get into the building Tai allegedly dwells in, but it takes us some time to scale the stairs all the way up to the top floor. It appears as though there are multiple homes in this one building. I've never seen anything like it before.

Eventually we find the door numbered the same as what is written on the note from the ring. Marek is the one the knock.

My heart races as I stare at the navy blue door, anxious to see exactly who lives behind it.

And sure enough, Tai answers.

He flinches upon seeing me, immediately looking over my body as if he can't quite believe I'm real. He doesn't look that different, aside from some fading bruises and healing cuts. Overwhelming amounts of emotions crush over me, leaving me breathless.

"You're alive," he murmurs, before his gaze shifts to the right, noting who stands beside me. "And you bought Marek."

"We have a lot to talk about, Tai," I tell him, trying not to let my emotions overwhelm me. Part of me wants to lurch forward and embrace him, until I'm coldly reminded of why I'm here, and what he has done.

"Come in," he says, stepping back. Zavian and Nakoa go in first, but when Marek goes to, Tai steps in front of him, shaking his head. "You, stay outside."

Marek frowns. It's obvious from his expression that he's holding himself back. "I don't think so..."

"I'll be okay, Marek," I say.

He looks at me, wanting to argue, but he must read in my expression the desperation. There is no way Tai will speak truthfully if Marek is near, and I don't need them fighting right now. So mercifully, Marek backs off.