TEN

Word Count: 1285

~Akara

We all stand in the main part of the workshop, staring at the paper on the table.

None of us want to touch it. There is no confirmation that whatever is in there will implicate Tai, and yet we all linger uncomfortably. If there is something in there, Zavian, Nakoa and I both are hesitant to reveal it, to taint the image of Tai that we all have. And all of this is because of what Evolet said right before she died.

"Shall we read it?" Zavian asks, looking between us.

Marek leans against the wall, not having said a word. He's been patient, not pushing any of us to read them before we are ready. He knows that what happens next may be hard on all three of us, and is giving us ample space.

"Open it up," I say, knowing we have to get it over. It may be innocent, and if it is, I only have to question him on the weapon, and nothing else.

Nakoa grabs the journal we have all been eyeing, while Zavian and I sift through the paper. Nothing much is revealed, other than rather boring political letters between Kailor and Tai, and other leaders in different districts.

"These entries are quite boring," Nakoa notes, squinting to read Tai's writing.

Knowing Tai has always kept a personal journal, I reach out for it, wanting a glimpse into his private thoughts. "Let me have a look."

Examining the page, I realise these entries are from a few years go.

Thursday

They are here again. Tarik is anxious, hating all the delays. But it isn't perfect yet, no matter how much father yells at me.

The amount of casualties we have had trying it out is weighing on me. Why can't I get it perfect?

Zavian brushes his shoulder against mine as he tries to catch what Tai's written. It is obvious this Tai's writing, and the mention of his brother's name solidifies this. A chill dances down my spine. Seeing Tai's journal entry before his brother died is haunting, and Zavian seems to feel the same, a solemn look coming about him.

"What does it say?" Marek asks, folding his arms over his chest as he monitors my expression. He can see how serious this is, just by the way I go stiff.

"He was making something...Something that's killed people," I whisper. I've always felt as though Tai has been capable of killing, especially after seeing how he was when he threatened Marek with my life. Seeing as evidence on the page is horrifying.

My eyes skim down, looking at an entry a few pages over.

Wednesday

I'm on the verge of backing out. It works on some people, it doesn't work on others. Mother is challenging me, saying I'm going to kill Tarik, but she doesn't understand. No one has made a substance like this.

I'm going to be the first one in history to make a cure for the river. Everyone will be powerful. If it works...

My eyes flutter closed, as the reality of what he's written settles deep within me. I've been convinced Tai hated Vaia's belief, thinking that her desires to find a cure were rooted in her own selfishness. And yet the evidence that Tai never truly believed that, and likely only said it due to my view of it, is written out in front of me.

"He literally had the same beliefs as Vaia," I say, hardly able to believe what is coming out of my mouth. "He must have never successfully made the cure."

Because if he did, we would never had to run. Vaia would never have taken over with the Rebellion, and we wouldn't be here right now. But had I known, I don't think I could have been with him. A cure can only hurt people.

"He killed a lot of people trying it," Zavian mutters, skimming his finger along the line of the sentence. "Keep reading."

Friday

I've done it, I've killed him.

What do I do? The cure failed, he didn't survive. Mother is distraught and I can't blame her. I think she is going to leave.

I should have tested it on myself first.

It was meant to make him able to kill a Tani and take it's powers, and I was meant to be the first to make his technology. I'm a failure, I killed my brother. Father hates me enough as it is, and now he's going to resent me forever.

The journal falls from my hand and onto the table with a dull thud.

Zavian and I both go quiet, exchanging shocked glances. Both Nakoa and Marek's attention piques, leaning closer to catch a glimpse of what's written in the journal.

"He killed his brother..." I whisper.

Tai told me Tarik died because he was unwell. He didn't specify that the reason he was unwell was due to his own actions of trying to find a cure, testing it on his own brother. I feel sick, like I could throw up on the floor on front of everyone and then collapse.

"He told me he was sick, and that is mother died too," Zavian says numbly, clearly having been fed the same story that I was.

Marek's jaw is set in a hard line as he examines the paper. "He probably killed her too."

"Marek..." I scold.

"Had I known this, Akara, I wouldn't have supported him," Zavian insists, turning to me. His sapphire eyes are frantic, as he clutches both sides of my arms, grip so right or almost hurts. "I wouldn't even have let him bring you into his home."

I know Zavian's right, that he would have protected me had he known. Letting him hug me, I calm my breathing, trying not to panic. This is the worst possible news to hear about my previous lover, and yet I can't let myself fall apart.

"I need to see him. I need to hear his side of the story," I decide. It would be easy to walk away, to pretend I never knew Tai, to discard of his problems far from me, so I can move on with my life.

But I can't run away from the fact that he was my lover, than I wanted to marry him. Part of me, even after hearing this, still loves him. It will help me put whatever we had to rest to hear his side of the story, and despite everything, I feel like I owe it to him.

"He could be dangerous," Marek mutters darkly, making it painfully obvious he thinks it would be a terrible idea for Tai and I to reunite.

"If he wanted to hurt me, he would have already," I remind him.

Until the moment when Marek had been captured, Tai had been the kindest, gentlest lover that I could have ever hoped for. Him being able to be there for me when I needed him most is what enticed me into a relationship with him.

"He nearly did, Akara," Marek exclaims, anger rising up in his tone, as memories return to him. "Remember when he was going to brand you in order to get to me?"

"He wasn't going to..." I hear myself saying, even though I don't believe it myself.

"It doesn't matter, we have no idea where he is. He could literally be anywhere," Nakoa adds, looking between Marek and I.

I look between them all, knowing what has to be done. "Then let's find him."

❤️••❤️

Remember that you can always find this story 10 chapters ahead on Radish (:

You will find it under King's Possession Season Three!!

~Midika 🐼💜