SEVENTEEN

Word Count: 2031

~Akara

We didn't get very far.

At least we've made it out of the Scarlet Province, from the looming city that terrifies me. But what terrifies me more is sitting in the same space as Marek and Tai. Thankfully they haven't spoken the entire nine hours we have been travelling, preferring to sit in seething silence, which I like just fine too.

Rain started soon after leaving the city, but now that dusk has fallen, has turned into a raging storm. We all mutually decided to stop at a nearby village for the night, which may be the only thing we can agree on for a while.

Marek stays close to my side as we wander into the inn. It's small, but it will do for one night. I'm eager for sleep too, exhausted from travelling and worrying about Marek and Tai all day.

Tai walks up to the front desk, while the rest of us linger back. "We will take five rooms."

"I'm sorry sir, we only have two rooms," she responds, gaze darting between him and us. There are three imposing men in here that would terrify me too, so I can't blame her. And Tai is staring down at her expectantly with that intense emerald gaze of his.

"How many beds are in each room?"

"Two singles in one room, and a double in the other," she says. I sigh, knowing that another dispute is going to arise between Marek and Tai about sleeping arrangements again. I'm tempted to make them take the double bed together.

Marek steps forward, and the girl flinches. Little does she know he would never a lay a hand on her, and that she should be more frightened of the man with the black curls.

"We are going to need more beds than that," Marek comments.

"We have an extra mattress that can be set up on the floor of one of these rooms," she offers meekly. It's clear there isn't going to be any further resolution to this issue. I'm tempted to go out into the storm and sleep within a tree rather than risk more issues.

"So, who is going to stay where?" Tai questions, folding his arms over his chest. I try to ignore the prying eyes of the girl over the desk, who suddenly looks willing to offer herself as a volunteer to sleep in the double bed with either Marek or Tai.

"I'm sorry, but I can't sleep in the same room as Tai," Nakoa says, looking on the verge of panicking if we forced her.

Tai frowns. "Nakoa..."

"After everything, I need some time," she tells him. She feels more strongly about this, but I know she doesn't want to cause a fight now, considering how volatile Tai has been recently.

"Me too," Zavian mutters.

"Well, I'm assuming Marek doesn't want to be in my room either, so unless someone wants to sleep in the rain, Akara, you're with me," Tai says, unable to keep the smugness from his tone. He completely unbothered by the wrath the emanates from Marek, who appears moments away from murdering him.

"Fine. I'm tired," I grumble. I don't feel like arguing, and if I dealt with Tai for many nights before, this should be no different.

Marek grabs my arm as I walk past. "Come get me, if you need anything."

The intensity of his gaze makes me shiver. He knows how frustrated I am, and he's not pushing me to go against Tai's advances. But were Tai to put a single hand on me that was unwanted, I know Marek would not hesitate to cause him great pain.

Tai and I wander up the stairs, keys swinging from his fingers. This place is no castle, but it's comfortable, and when Tai unlocks the door, the room is perfectly satisfactory.