TWENTY SEVEN

Word Count: 1573

~Akara

The prisons are exactly as I remember them.

Moonlight only guides me partially down the steps and into the lowest levels of the prison. Thankfully there are no guards down here that bother stopping me, most barely glancing as I pad anxiously by, looking desperately for whatever cell Tai has locked Marek in, that he will hopefully be freed from tomorrow.

"Marek?" I call out, voice echoing down the long hallway. My eyes trace over the concrete, trying not to step in the muddy puddles as I walk.

"Akara...I'm in here," he calls out.

Running down the hallway, I follow the sound of his voice until I come to his cell. Eerily, I realise it's the same cell Tai put him in all those years ago. It's demented, how he's trying to relive much of the past. I'm not sure why he chose that time though, since I hated him...I just hope he doesn't think that means I'll fall in love with him again.

"Are you okay?" I ask, peering through the bars.

He emerges from the shadows. I can't see much of him, but it's a relief to see he hasn't been beaten. He does look dejected though, irritated that he's ended up here, and he can't retaliate against Tai now.

"I'm fine, considering," he mumbles, resting his hands through the bars. I wind my fingers through his. It feels so good to touch him, after the day that I've had.

"I'm going to get you out of here, okay?" I assure him. Whether Tai told the truth about releasing Marek tomorrow is unknown, but if he doesn't, then I will stop at nothing to ensure Marek is my full priority.

Marek shakes his head, glancing to his right. "Don't say anything. Vaia is in the cell next to me."

Shuffling over, I look through the bars to see a figure sitting against the far wall, head in their hands. It's no doubt it's Vaia, a cruel smile touching my lips. Last time I saw her, she thought she had killed me. I feel no mercy for her, and when Marek gets out of here, I'm going to make sure she remains locked in here to rot forever.

"Say whatever you want. I have no interest in your foolish conversations," she mutters, not bothering to look up at me. I could laugh. All her confidence has leached away, and I'm loving it.

"She hasn't spoken to me much. Seems her dignity is shredded," Marek affirmed.

"Good. She should be embarrassed," I mutter. "How did Tai take over, anyway?"

Vaia sighs, leaning her head back against the brick wall. "He appeared with an army of men I couldn't fight against...completely out of nowhere. If I were you, I would ask where he got such support, so quickly."

"So he still hasn't released you from your engagement?" Marek asks, not bothering to hide the anger in his tone. Vaia already knows how Marek feels about me, since he betrayed her to keep me alive. I wish I could be privy to their conversations when I'm not around, to see whether Vaia has anything to say about it.

"No, but he promised to release you," I tell him. Marek frowns, probably doubting that as much as I am. But Tai wants me to obey him, to comply in this engagement that he see's as a very real agreement.

Marek presses up against the bars of the cell, hands gripping them so tightly until his knuckles pale. "Me? What about you?"

"He won't. We are going to marry, because I'm apparently in danger," I mutter, glancing over my shoulder as if whoever is meant to want me dead is here right now. The guards linger off down the corridor. I wouldn't be surprised if they let me get killed, so they don't have to deal with this engagement, with protecting me.