THIRTY TWO

Word Count: 1519

~Akara

Staring out the window, I admire the sun setting over the forest as I wrap my towel around me, stepping from the bath.

I wish the Jade Province still felt like home to me. But when I look out toward the forest, all I see is hidden memories, and endless amounts of pain and suffering.

Out there, Marek is somewhere, hunting down who hurt me. I wish I could call out to him, have him come here and save me. But mostly, I wish I could save myself. All that matters is finding a way to get the antidote for Marek, to save his life, before I start concentrating on how to save my own.

Yawning, I wander out from the bathroom, only to see Tai sitting on the edge of my bed.

"Ah!" I yelp, backing away a few steps.

"Woah, sorry, I didn't mean to frighten you," he says, holding his hands up defensively. He's trying not to make me panic, and yet I watch as his eyes trail down my body, only covered by a towel. I shudder. This isn't good.

I narrow my eyes, wondering how I could physically force him from the room. "You're sitting on my bed, in my room which I didn't invite you into."

"You didn't answer my knocks. I came in thinking something had happened to you, but you were obviously bathing," he notes, motioning over me. I roll my eyes. How am I meant to survive here if Tai thinks it's okay to walk into my room whenever he pleases, as if we are actually a real engaged couple.

I prop my hands on my hips. "Yes...So you can go now."

"I wanted to talk to you," he murmurs quietly.

"Haven't we talked enough?"

He shakes his head. "I want to talk about our future."

Our future. He says it as if this isn't going to end with me getting the antidote for Marek then running for my life so I can be with the man I am truly in love with. Tai has deluded himself to the point where he actually thinks he's going to convince me to stay engaged to him, and then married, willingly.

"Which doesn't exist, if you continue to threaten me, and the people I care about," I growl, advancing on him. His eyes widen, giving him a doe-eyed look that I don't believe for a moment.

"It's to keep you safe," he reminds me.

I roll my eyes, turning around. "Whatever. I need to get dressed."

Grabbing some clothes, I wander into the bathroom, shutting the door most of the way, hoping he gets the hint and leaves me alone so I can get some sleep. There's nothing he can say to me that can bring him back into my favour, so I don't know why he puts so much effort into trying to convince me.

"We have some leads on who it may be that shot you," I hear him say from the other room as I tug my pants on.

"What are they?" I question.

I wouldn't tell him, but I have more faith that Marek will find who shot me before his guards are able to.

"We believe it was someone from a neighbouring village who came there for the specific reason of killing you. They may be leading a cause against you," he explains. I shove my shirt on, then emerge back from the bathroom, glaring at him.

"Great..."

Tai winces, tilting his head back and forth. "They have...interesting beliefs."

"Such as?"

"They believe in maintaining the balance of nature, that your existence goes against such a balance," he explains. Of course. There are plenty of people in this Province that support ridiculous beliefs, to the point they would be willing to kill to uphold them. I know that first hand, considering people's reaction to me killing the Beast.