TWENTY ONE

Word Count: 2082

~Akara

One month Later

My fingers dig deeper into the dirt, scattering it about.

Time has been moving blissfully fast since moving here. Each day is almost the same, Marek and I having established our home here. I've come to truly love the Emerald Pack, and it's balmy weather and friendly people. I could see myself here forever, away from everything in my past.

Physically, my past may be behind me, but each night I close my eyes, and flashes of Tai and Vaia come to mind. What are they doing now? What are they plotting next?

Marek has soothed me some nights, running into my room when nightmares plague me.

He tells me to move on. But it's harder than that, even as more time passes.

We haven't kissed again since that night over a month ago. There have been moments when I've been tempted, but Marek hasn't pushed me, knowing I need time after Tai.

"What a nice garden," someone says, drawing my gaze up from where it was focused on the flowers I'm planting.

I lean upwards wiping my sweaty forehead with my forearm. "Thank you. It's progressing nicely."

I've never seen this man, who lurks near the fence. He must be one of my neighbours, smiling at me broadly. I've kept away from most people living near us, knowing there is a chance we will have to move quickly.

And I'm a Summoner. I don't exactly fit in here, and neither does Marek.

"I live just a street over. I walk by your place on the way to work, and I always admire it," the man notes, motioning behind me. Gardening has been the only thing keep me sane recently, keeping me outside of the house and in the sun.

"I'm glad you like it," I say, before bowing my head again, hoping he gets the hint as I resume my gardening.

He leans up against the fence. "I'm Jake, by the way."

Sighing, I look back up. I shouldn't tell him anything about me, but I get the feeling if I don't he's only going to dig into my life more, and I'm frightened of what people will dig up if they look too hard.

"Akara," I mutter.

Nothing against you Jake, but you should probably just walk away.

"You just moved here?" He looks over my shoulder and to my house, clearly making a mental note of it. He's going to be back again, but once he meets Marek, I doubt he will want anything to do with us. Especially since Marek's marking is more prominent than ever, making it no secret he is a Summoner.

I tear my gloves off, deciding there is no chance I'm going to get any gardening done anymore. "About a month ago."

"And what brings you here?"

"I just thought a change of scenery would be nice. I'm from the Jade Province," I tell him. It's probably obvious, I definitely look like I came from there. But being foreign makes me less of a threat. I don't know anybody here. I don't know any of their secrets. I want to remain unassuming and in the shadows of this town.

Partially because I want people to like me, to not mind my presence. And it's also because I don't want Tai to ever come for me again.

"I've never left the Emerald Province, but if I did, that would be one of the first places I would go," Jake says, grinning broadly. I get the feeling he is used to appeasing people with such a smile, and now uses it on me.

"Hmm. I don't think I'm going back." I get to my feet, dusting the dirt off my knees. A storm is rolling in, the clouds darkening with every passing moment.