TWELVE

Word Count: 1694

• COMING SOON •

~Akara

Immediately I'm leaning forward, trying to get a glimpse of what is written on the note.

"What does it say?" I question, grabbing the small edge of it, marvelling at how much writing has been tucked onto one small piece of paper. Part of it is frayed, practically falling apart in Marek fingers, clearly having been in that ring since Tai made it, all those months ago, meaning he intended for me to see it now, and not back then.

"It's a bit smudged, but it's an address," Marek murmurs, pushing it into my hands. It's in the Scarlet Province, right in the centre of the city. I've always been frightened by the idea of the city for a long time, warned about it's dangers by my parents.

Now, I'm going to have to go there to find Tai.

"What about the bottom part?" Marek prompts, flicking the bottom of the paper.

If it happens, I'm here. Come find me for answers.

Tai.

He knew. But how?

How could Tai have known I would fall victim to the river? A cold stain of fear creeps over my skin, revealing the reality that there are more secrets Tai is keeping close to his chest that I know nothing about, and never did. We were together when he made this. He gifted it to me under the guise that he loved me, but the entire his gift hid yet another secret.

Marek takes the note from his hand himself, examining it closely. "Well, that's ambiguous."

"What do you think it means?" I ask gently, although I can already assume. This wasn't a mistake. This ring is meant for me, nobody else, a means of summons to the Scarlet Province, Tai's choice of a place to hide.

"I think he wants you to go to this address," Marek says, turning his attention to me, look ready to console me if I suddenly break down, which is starting to become a very real possibility. "He must have known you were going to touch the river and made a ring that would dissolve in the water."

Unable to continue standing, I sit back down on the porch step, both stunned and horrified.

This can't be happening.

"If he knew it was going to happen, do I even want to see him?" I whisper, as Marek comes to sit next to me, holding my arm comfortingly. His touch is so soft, so gentle that it chips away at some of the panic rising up within me.

"There's only one way to get answers," Marek reminds me.

He isn't pushing me, just gently guiding me where he thinks I should go. But if I decide I never want to see Tai ever again, he won't push it, in fact, I doubt he would ever bring it up again. Yet both him and I know I won't be able to rest until I get answers from him. I just hope he will be willing to be honest, for once in his life.