TWENTY NINE

Word Count: 1394

~Akara

I stare up at the steps leading onto the temporary stage, shuddering.

The last thing I want is to be here, in this Jade Province village, expected to pretend like I'm marrying Tai. But if I want any chance of saving Marek's life, I'm going to have to act, until I can get that antidote myself.

"Take my hand," Tai encourages.

I stare down at it, knowing where he plans to lead me. "Do I have to?"

"Maintaining appearances, right?" He offers a smile, but I don't return it. I've dressed in this ridiculous garb to please him, so for now, I have no other choice but to plaster a smile on my face and gaze up at Tai like he's the love of my life, because we are about to step on stage before an entire village of people.

Sliding my hand into his, I allow him Tai to lead me carefully up the stairs and onto the stage, to stand before the people, who merely stare up at us blankly, waiting to decide whether they want to trust us or not.

They have survived a rebellion, which cannot have been good for any of them. I understand why a lot of them are angry.

Tai squeezes my hand. "Hello everyone, it is great to be back."

Nobody says anything. Some glance between each other, expressions solemn, while others just blankly stare between the two of us. I wish I could scream at them for help, tell them none of this is real, and that I need them to save me.

But there is a chance none of them are on my side.

"As you all know, rebels took control of this Territory, however my sister has been taken into custody, and I have taken over reign again as the rightful King," Tai explains, unintentionally sounding boastful to the point I could roll my eyes.

Again, everyone remains still, unconvinced.

"I understand a lot of you are angry for what happened, and Vaia will be executed publicly as a result," he continues.

This seems to spark more of an interest, people breaking out into murders, some even looking excited. So much for Vaia being for the people. It seems her influence has caused more pain than good here. I may not like Tai, but I am glad for the hold Vaia had over innocent people, and that they may be better of with Tai.

"For now, Akara and I will be ruling together, as we will marry in a month's time, and it will actually happen, this time," he says, garnering a few laughs.

I force a smile onto my face, letting Tai wrap his arm around my waist, tugging me closer.

I think he is going to continue speaking, but instead, I feel his fingers brush against my cheek, turning my face toward him. Every ounce of me wants to pull away, but I can't, knowing what is on the line as he draws me into to kiss him.

As his lips press against mine, I let my eyes flutter closed. It's a polite kiss, for everyone to see, but it feels nothing like how it used to feel, kissing Tai. It's devoid of all feeling, of all love.

He pulls away, smiling, but I'm haunted, forcing myself to appear happy, when my insides are turning over uneasily.

"Tai..." I whisper, wondering what people would think if I slit his throat, right here, in front of everyone.

"Akara," he warns lowly.

He doesn't have to say it, that I need to maintain appearances. I just hope he can see how angry I am through my eyes, before we turn back to everyone.

Tai looks over everyone. "Now, everyone-"

He's cut off, as something slim comes whizzing through the air, and strikes me between my chest and shoulder, sending my hurtling back onto the floor of the stage.