FORTY TWO

Word count: 1746

~Akara

Tai's mother arrives in the Jade Province after a few days.

Since she strolled into Tai's estate last night, she has seemed withdrawn and quiet, although silently determined. She has spent so many years staying as far from him as possible, and now, she is being forced to face him for the greater good of this Province.

Now, we stand at the top of the stairs leading down to the cell. Marek is with us, in case Tai gets angry, although I suspect he won't today.

At least not when he sees his mother.

"Are you ready for this?" I ask her, feeling the anxiety seeping off of her. Her face reveals nothing, though, her expression artfully crafted to appear unaffected by her emotions.

"To see my son again?" she says, releasing a soft sigh. "I'm not so sure, but it needs to happen."

"You're doing the right thing. You will be a wonderful Queen," I tell her honestly. So much so, maybe living in the Jade Province again wouldn't be so bad. But my heart now yearns from the Emerald Province. Marek and I can start a life there with no one who will recgonise us, and no enemies anywhere near.

Maria turns her head to look at me. "I'll find out about this weapon, Akara. I won't allow that many people to lose their lives."

"Thank you," I murmur.

Slowly, we walk down the stairs toward the cell. All I can hope is this interaction goes positively. If not, then Maria may be right. We may have to kill him.

Tai looks up upon hearing approaching footsteps. "Mother?"

"Taius. You are looking well," Maria says, stopping in front of the bars. Tai scrambles up into standing position, his shock palpable. It's impossible to tell whether it's a positive shock, or a terrified shock.

"What are you doing here?" he asks, looking between his mother and I. He knows that if she is here with me, then it can't be for his own good.

"Akara has helped me understand that running from you, and my responsibilities is no longer going to work. I need to step forward and ensure you can cause no more harm," Maria says calmly. Her strength and ability to keep her cool is impressive. I have no doubt she will be a wonderful Queen for this Province.

"Harm? Mother...what happened my brother was an accident," Tai insists, gripping the metal bars tightly.

"You and I both know it wasn't. No more lying, Tai."

"I was trying to help him," he rests his head against the bars, looking close to banging it. I can see the tale he has wound beginning to break apart right in front of him. He can't keep it up much longer, but he knows that if he admits it, there will be no positive outcome.

"You were trying to become powerful, by testing your technology on him. He should never have been your victim. No one should be," Maria exclaims. She's right. Had Tai not tried to cure his brother, he would have done it to far more innocent people only to have the same result.

"And they won't be...anymore," he assures her.

None of us buy that.

"And what about this weapon I've been hearing about then, hmm?" She presses. Tai pales. I doubt he knew his mother was aware of his invention. His gaze drifts to me, coming to realise exactly who brought this to her attention.

He turns back to his mother, shifting comfortably. "It's to save more people than it will hurt."

"And who's to say?" I cut in, unable to reign in my hand. Marek rests his hand on the small of my back, trying to soothe me. It's no use, though. It's unbelievably frustrating to watch him try to talk his way out of this, even if I know he won't be successful.