Ch. 1

Old folktales are always led astray since they've been carried on for generations. That's why many people usually leave out the cat and the fox since they make it fourteen instead of twelve. But in the old folktale, the fox is merely a suggestion box that the god always seemed to listen to. The fox would tell the God whatever in wanted to hear before throwing its own opinions out there that the God would undoubtedly listen to. The new God of the zodiacs, Akito, didn't like that the fox had so much control over the God, so Akito made Reign's life hell due to the folktale from so long ago.

The fox was simply a plaything for Akito to bully and do with as Akito pleased. That fox was none other than Reign. She was the white fox; a symbol of purity, cleverness, playfulness, mischievousness, and recognition. Many people found the fox to be cunning due to its insatiable hunger for causing chaos. Akito was one of those people.

"They say that a white fox is a sign of purity but I find you far from it." Akito commented darkly. "Only someone truly cunning would bait the God into having the banquet. You're no different." Akito commented, laughing in Reign's ear. "You bring despair everywhere you go. Never forget that. "

These insults would go on and on until Reign finally got up and walked away. Akito found it amusing and has kept Reign close since their first meeting.

The Reign from today is now twenty-seven years old and is an assistant of Hatori's. She's been his assistant ever since he first started working as the family doctor. Most of the time Reign could be found sitting in his backyard and playing with foxes. And today was the same as usual; playing in his yard with foxes. There was three of them. They were tiny little things and looked like they wanted to have some fun.

Reign played with them with a smile on her face, entertained by the trio. Two of them would fight any time she gave the other too much attention while the other one simply laid on her lap, sleeping soundly. Out of the corner of her eye Reign saw a bigger fox who looked like the mom. Using her communication skills with the fox, she figured out that the mom was looking for her babies.

Reign called the mom over and petted her softy as she collected her babies one by one. The mom rubbed against Reign, her way of saying thank you before leaving. The two baby foxes still fought on their way out as the sleepy one simply followed the mom without issue. Reign watched them leave with a warming look on her face.

"Are you trying to catch cold?" Hatori scolded.

Reign turned around to see Hatori standing outside the door, his face a bit angry? "Oh come on Hatori," she teased. "I can handle the cold like the average human."

"I'd prefer if you didn't worry me. I am the only family doctor." countered Hatori.

She smiled. "Then I'll take over when you can't handle the stress anymore." she mused.

Hatori sighed and put his face in his palm. "Just come inside. I'd hate to be scolded by your parents later for not watching you like I should."

"Fine." she replied. "I'll go inside so you can stop pestering."

Satisfied, Hatori went inside, Reign following behind him. She closed the window side door behind her and sat down on the sofa in his office. It was true that she was a bit cold but nothing she couldn't handle. If she did stay outside longer though she would've transformed. Even though she wanted to lie, Hatori could see right through her. He knew immediately she was cold and near transformation. He was the keeper of her, Ayame, and Shigure. The four of them have been together since they were children and they are all the same age.

Hatori came into the office with a tea set. He sat it on the table and sat across from Reign. He poured them both tea and took his as it was while Reign put two sugar cubes into hers before drinking it.